Teenage Pregnancy | Teen Ink

Teenage Pregnancy

By jaryn BRONZE, Coventry, Rhode Island
jaryn BRONZE, Coventry, Rhode Island

Could you imagine being pregnant at sixteen? No more shopping for yourself, but for your baby. Not being able to just go out when you want because you would have to call a babysitter; someone your age. Teen pregnancy is becoming a large issue in the United States and across the rest of the world. Television shows, magazine articles, and books talk about pregnant teens today. Some support the teens with the struggle, while others bash them and call the, cruel names. I myself do not support teen pregnancy like others may. Pregnancy is a big decision to be made by adults that can support the child, not by girls and boys who are still children themselves.

Some television shows such as Teen Mom and 16 & Pregnant show the struggles that teen mothers and fathers go through. Are they supporting it? Though they show the dangers and emotional and physical stress that the teens have, they are giving the idea of fame to thousands of other teenagers across the world. These shows give girls the idea that be pregnant isn’t all that bad because after the show, they can make money and have more support across America. Dr. Drew, the founder of these two television shows, shows the teens going through their struggles by putting them on national television and showing the world what it’s like. When the show ended, the teens talked about how wonderful the experience had been and how helpful Dr. Drew was. After that, there was another season. Different girls, new stories, same situation.

Peer pressure, influence, and desire are the main contributors to the reason teenagers get pregnant. Guys get pressured by their friends to have sex with a girl, and girls get pressured by guys to have sex with them. This isn’t true in all cases, but it is the most common. Also, teens are influenced by the previously mentioned shows, and even magazine articles. Those teenage mothers from the television show are in all magazines for young women telling them about their struggles and how they got through them. This could tell a teen, ‘Hey, if they can do it, so can I.’ Is it really worth it to lose your social life, respect from peers, and maybe even the one you love? Almost 78% of boys going into teenage fatherhood leave the soon- to- be mother before or shortly after the pregnancy. Desire in many ways is a reason for young pregnancy. It’s the hidden question of ‘What is sex like?’ hat teenagers want to figure out. They desire each other and that knowledge of sex, but don’t consider the consequences that can come from it.

Even with support, whether it’s from family, friends, or even a doctor, it is not the right choice for a teenager. Imagine if there was no support for you and you were in this alone. The struggles you face daily and a child to go with them. Having a child is worth the wait. You can live your life and have experiences that you could tell your child in the future.

on Apr. 26 2011 at 8:56 am
OMGGGG! You are AMAZINGG<3 please write more :D

hello said...
on Apr. 26 2011 at 8:54 am
jaryn i completely agree. you really have a good point. rock on girl!