Behind the Back | Teen Ink

Behind the Back

March 2, 2011
By BabyGirl0617 BRONZE, Heber, Utah
BabyGirl0617 BRONZE, Heber, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Hey, you’re stupid. Yeah, you heard me, I called you stupid. How did that make you feel? I bet it hurt your feelings. As high school students, we often hear people calling each other names behind their backs. Most of the time we want to stay out of it, but when it’s someone we care about we get involved. In the rare occasions we get involved; it usually makes that person mad. What are we supposed to do in this situation?

Females, mainly B.T.B.T (behind the back talkers) must think it’s okay to talk bad about each other because it’s a pretty often occurrence. We have to go around school all day listening to, “Did you see what she was wearing?” or “I hate her, she’s soo weird.” Blah blah blah. We don’t want to hear it! No it doesn’t make you sound cool; it doesn’t make you look better. It makes you look like self-conceded jerks that just have to make fun of others when they could be doing something productive like, oh I don’t know, minding their own business.

What if B.T.B.T said something to a person who was on the verge of suicide? Congratulations. You just killed a person. How would that make you feel? The excuse’s go on and on. Everyone knows it was no one’s fault specifically, but if we had just taken the time to realize what we were saying might actually be hurtful; we could’ve saved a life.

In most cases, B.T.B.T. just say mean things to make themselves look better. Some people also blame it on family problems. Let me just tell you right now, I’m not one of them. We should understand that families have a huge influence on life, but just because they have a bad family situation doesn’t mean they have a right to hurt others around them. In my opinion, some of us just make it a habit to make fun of others, regardless of family issues.

Thumper knew exactly (even if it came from his parents) what he was saying when he caught himself about to make fun of his friends, and said “If you can’t say nothin’ nice, don’t say nothin’ at all” (Bambi). Well isn’t it just plain embarrassing to know a rabbit in a cartoon has more common sense and consideration than humans in the real world do?

I am most definitely not excluding myself from this group; we all know how hard it is to keep these little things to ourselves. But when people say its best just to keep these things to yourself, you best believe them. I think that most of us can agree that we should try to be more like Thumper and speak kindly or keep our mouths shut!


The author's comments:
I think that people talking about others behind their backs has been a big issue in schools. So when my English teacher let us choose to write about pet peeves, I chose this.