Don't Be A Faker! | Teen Ink

Don't Be A Faker!

By Justin Dorius BRONZE, Heber City, Utah
Justin Dorius BRONZE, Heber City, Utah

Popularity is a funny thing. It shouldn’t exist but it does. We all want to b popular, but few of us see ourselves that way. Most of us feel lucky to get our cowlicks to stay down and accidentally say something funny on occasion. Still, we all know who the popular kids are at our school. These kids can be classified into two groups. The first kind of popular is the real deal. The kids who legitimately have all the good stuff: great social skills, good looks, a great sense of humor, and amazing athletic abilities. These kids are naturally popular. We love them. We want to be like them so that they will like us and accept us. This is where the second group of popular kids comes from. They are the “wannabees.” They want to be liked by those that they see as popular. They try so hard to fit in with the naturally popular crowd that they often become obnoxious, rude, self absorbed, and crude – traits that may not come naturally to them, but with time and practice become their habits. It is this behavior – the trying so hard to be something they’re not – that is often hurtful to others. If we could each find the confidence to be true to ourselves from the beginning, we would all have friends, we would all belong to a group, and we would all be a lot happier.

We like being around people who share our values. We naturally gravitate towards others who are like us. As we spend time with these people, they become our friends. These friends make us feel the most comfortable and accepted because we can be who we really are when we’re with them.

Once we have our friends, we become part of a group. This group is now our support system through our trials and decisions. Now, instead of ever feeling alone, we can feel comfortable, safe, and included all the time.

Having friends and belonging to a group is going to make us happier. If everyone had a friend and belonged to a group, there would be no need for anyone to be mean, and no one would feel bullied, threatened, and embarrassed. Because none of these fears would exist, we would all feel and act a lot happier.

We don’t all need to be the same. In fact, if that were the case, the world would be very dull. There are a lot of different types of people that have many different ideas, interests, talents, and values. What is important is for each of us to find the confidence to be who we really are.

In the movie Shrek 2, Shrek and Fiona are living a lie trying to impress one another. In the end, they realize what is important and that they are way happier living in a swamp.

It doesn’t take being somebody we’re not just to be happy. If we can stay true to our own values, we will find friends; we will develop into a group to which we belong and feel comfortable being a part of, and we will find more happiness.