"like" whats wrong | Teen Ink

"like" whats wrong

Why have some people’s minds gotten so lazy that they can’t say a sentence with out replacing normal words and pauses with fillers? Has it really gotten so hard to talk that they have to say the word “like” every time they try to complete a thought?

Using the word “like” is used in an attempt to make a dull conversation more exciting. It is aggravating to listen to someone talk and like every time they like say a simple sentence they like have to like use the word like to even get through the thought. Have you ever read a book where the author used the word “said” for every quote? Most authors switch it up to prevent boredom and monotony in the book. They use similar words like “exclaimed” or “announced” or “screeched”. Doing this makes the book bearable to read.

Here’s an example from this past weekend. My friend called me and said this; “Hey man, so I was wondering like if I could like come over and like hang over at your house for just like a little while, like until my mom like comes and picks me up for my game at like 7:00.” I backhanded him when he came over. Who needs to talk like that anyway?

But it’s not just “like”. Some people like to grind my gears by droning on and on with random words. Several of my friends commit this kind of atrocity; “Sssssssssssoooo do you want to come over aaaaaand hang out today? We could uummm play some games n’ stuff yeah, and maaaaaaaaaaaybe hang outside.”

Why? Is it really so hard to just say what you need to say? How about just taking a few moments to collect your thoughts? “Uuuhhhmmmmmmm” just makes a person sound unsure of themselves and silly.

But how can you stop this epidemic you ask? Try not to like add like silly words to like your thoughts. Like just finish your sentence using like normal everyday words. You’ll sound like so much more intelligent and not like some teenage mushmouth with someone like me staring at you wondering what useless piece of information will come out of your mouth next.