We Are Who We Are

We are who we are, said by the one and only Ke$ha. Taking only that one line from her upbeat, dance evoking song we realize that it can be true. As much as someone tries to change on the outside and inside, they are who they are. So does this mean to stay true to your core values because overall people will accept you for you? Yes, but only in Disneyland. The reality is no. Today’s society fosters the superficial values that crush individuality. People thrive to fit into the shell of perfection. This shell is an illusion orchestrated by the media. Magazines, movies and the runway hosts some of the most beautiful people is the world, but all of those people belong to the same category. Having a series of beautiful people all look the same causes stereotypes to evolve provoking that diversity is bad. To fit in you must belong to the pack because this is the way the media defines how we should look. They surround us with “beautiful” people, but why have they been chosen for this title? The media has changed the word beautiful and we are no longer who we are because we see ourselves only through their standards.