Bullying: The Epidemic | Teen Ink

Bullying: The Epidemic

January 26, 2011
By vamps BRONZE, Hallsville, Texas
vamps BRONZE, Hallsville, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
To fall is normal, to relize falling is normal is an extraordinary act that few people can truly accept.


All children will have a dream. They may not always be realistic, but kids sure can dream. My dream was to fly to the moon. I wanted to reach out and grab the moon and feel it's gravely surface. Yes, I am aware that this is a near impossible dream, but it was fun to imagine. When I was in the third grade, I soon discovered how cruel and pitiless, as me and my dreams soon targets became for the bullies. There where other reason than my dream like my clothes or my speech impediment. It still cut to the very essence of my soul when they started to crush my dreams. The point of the matter is I was not a one time issue. Children are bullying other children incessantly, and in doing such crushing their very soul. Funny isn't it how we go on about the rights of criminals, animals, plants, but not a growing major problem of the increase of bulling in America? Don't children have the right to be able to go to school dressed as they want and not fear persecution? Now, some people are saying we are addressing the issue. Yes, they have stop bullying programs and the ever present DARE program. These things are great, except that the basics of kindness don’t start at school, they start at home. So, if we really want these kids to have the right to be who they are, maybe the home front should do their part to. As it is said, “Monkey see, monkey do”. Therefore, it goes to say that if the mother is always talking about somebody clothes, the daughter will assume it is okay to do this. To fix this, maybe parents should do as they teach. Accept others as what they are and not critize their faults.