Is Truthfulness Subjective? | Teen Ink

Is Truthfulness Subjective?

January 31, 2011
By bubbagump SILVER, Grand Junction, Colorado
bubbagump SILVER, Grand Junction, Colorado
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain


Does one always have to tell the truth? Or, are there certain times when one can lie? There is one simple answer to these questions – ALWAYS tell the truth. Dishonesty can damage relationships and degrade reputations, so no matter what the circumstance, be true to yourself.


Trust is an important part of friendship, and if one lies, this bond can be broken, possibly ending a relationship. Also, one can be seen as a poor character just by lying. People look up to me and by being dishonest, I am letting them down. Lying is also just purely immoral. The Eighth Commandment even states, “Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor.” In other words, tell the truth.


Mark Twain once said, “If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” This means that if one tells a lie, they might have to back it up with another lie, and soon enough, that person won’t remember what they said and when they said it. They would never be trusted again, and would wish that they had just told the truth in the first place.


Others, though, believe that lying is sometimes necessary. They say that “little white lies” are all right. Or, in some situations, like the death of a family member, they say that they lie to “protect somebody.” But, tell me, are you protecting someone if they will find out anyway – NO. They will just wonder why they weren’t told the truth in the first place.


This is why being honest is essential in everyday life. No matter what the situation is, tell the truth. And who knows, if you are a direct, straight – forward, truthful person, more people might like and support you. So if it were up to you, wouldn’t you want someone to be truthful with you?