Are We Really That Dumb?

It's a debate that's been going on for years: has today's technology has made Generation Y 'The Lazy Generation?'

Adults of Generation X have frequently claimed that we, the teens of Generation Y, are too privileged with the amount and accessibility of current technology. In fact, Mark Bauerlein wrote a novel about it, entitled “The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupifies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future (Or, Don't Trust Anyone Under 30).” But who is he to insult us so? Who are the adults who raised these computer-savvy teens? Who has provided us with these technological opportunities? The one's who insult us, that's who.

How is our relying on technology a negative thing, though? The Internet allows instant access to endless amounts of updated information, which prevents hours spent researching in a library. Cell phones give us immediate communication all around the world, which is helpful in emergency situations.

In an interview with TheJambar.com's Emmalee C. Torisk, Student Nick Serra commented on the positive influences technology can have. "Seeing as how our opinions can be made public worldwide in a matter of seconds, I'd hope that our thoughts and actions can make a difference faster than other generations. I don't know if we've had any effect yet, but there's a good possibility."

Technology is a great thing! It allows our minds to spend more time developing new concepts instead of learning old ones. Instead of memorizing hundreds of formulas, we can discover new ones that we can use in modern ways.

Neil Howe, who co-authored the book “Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation”, told The Washington Post that the differences between Generations X & Y could be as simple as the differences in tastes in TV shows. “Today's kids watch '24' and 'Law & Order,' which have multiple plot lines. We watched 'The Flinestones' – one level of meaning. They watch 'The Simpson' – multiple levels of meaning. We used to play monopoly. ...They play SimCity in real time, trying to manage thousands of variables to keep the city moving.”

Can we really say that Generation Y is the 'Lazy Generation' with our advanced knowledge in technology? As computers grow and evolve, we need to grow with them. We need to adapt to our surroundings as a society so that in the future, we can work together as best we can. Whether it's accepted as helpful or not, technology is here to stay, and I, personally, believe that these advancements can only make us stronger.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

seriouswritersblockThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 6:10 am:
Thank goodness someone has a spine to say that we are not dumb!  I mean, we are the future and they can kiss our technologicly advanced butts!