Violence Can't Stop Itself | Teen Ink

Violence Can't Stop Itself

By rhooper15 BRONZE, Park City, Utah
rhooper15 BRONZE, Park City, Utah

Violence: the behavior involving physical force which is intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something. These words come from an ordinary dictionary, yet they cannot really describe what violence is; they only give us what the idea of violence is. Violent assault can’t be pinned to just one idea. There are many different types of violence in our tiny world, but I’m going to tell you about the violence that happens in school. Even the tiniest thing in this world can cause violence such as bullying, harassing, or physically hurting someone. This world has many people that commit crimes everyday, but we believe when we have thrown them all in jail; we won’t have violence. The truth is that we can never have peace. That’s why violence takes many forms.
Bully: blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people. This represents the modern bully, but what about the extremist who makes your life a living hell? There are extremists that make groups just to pick on one kid, and they take it so far that this kid may even bring a gun to school or kill himself. People in this world can’t help it if their smart, stupid, or even just easy to pick on; this is what happens at school that have “no harassment” policies. These bullies pick on students and those kids they kids they could turn out to be some of the richest, smartest, or famous people in the world. If we stopped bullying in schools, then we may even be able to lower the rate of violence in our world.
Harass: to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute. Harass a word that bullies don't exactly understand. But they do a lot of harassing, never the less which causes a lot of damage. Bullies don’t understand how much they’re hurting these kids. They are doing it persistently and just cause unending problems. Harassing has taken a new meaning since the bullies harass kids more as they get older. Bullies seem to seek ways to get their victim to really hate life. Most jokes can be used as a “dis” to hurt someone or play around with friends, but they have evolved into hurting others which isn’t the real meaning of a joke.
Words can hurt forever, but at least broken bones can heal overtime. The saying sticks, and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me isn’t true, because if you really are harassed, those words will hurt for longer than you think. The effects of physically breaking people’s bones or just hurting them won’t last long. Pain can’t be replayed in your mind, but if you replay the times when bullies have harassed you their words will hurt you forever. Pain is real, but the difference is that it’s not as violent as harassing, which is the real violence.
We may be thinking of violence as one idea, but when we broaden our minds then we can understand what violence really is. That’s why violence takes many forms. We can’t stop violence but we can try to fight it. Our world has brought violence since the beginning when Pandora opened the box she was too curious to see what was in the box, she hadn’t though about the consequences letting out items of chaos into our world. Curiosity killed the cat. This one metaphor leads into violence, and it also reminds us that curiosity is what started violence. We maybe able to stop many things, but violence is one we can’t stop.