Needy Wants | Teen Ink

Needy Wants

January 17, 2011
By Chris Soldovieri BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Chris Soldovieri BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Over the past decades, Americans have increased their wants. We have shifted from buying only what we need, to buying everything, even if it’s unnecessary. Americans have gone from making nominal purchases to making over the top buys. When Americans shop, they make purchases that exceed their budget. Today, prices aren’t an inhibition but are seen as an integral way of life.
In today’s society, it’s seen as prestigious to have nice things. You are seen as a step up if you drive an expressive car, have a smart phone, and wear costly clothing. These people are incoherent to the prices and simply hand over the plastic.
For some, they can’t afford the remunerations that come with having nice things. Many Americans fall into debt and only the fortuitous can recover financially. For the unlucky ones, they will spend the rest of their lives fighting to survive; they will be fighting to keep a roof over their head and food on the table.
With all the placards that liter our streets, it’s not hard to fall into the company’s trap. The more we buy, the richer they become (big business), and the poorer we become. Americans need to stop reckless purchases and only buy items that are needs not wants.