texting and driving | Teen Ink

texting and driving

January 5, 2011
By xobrittanyox BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
xobrittanyox BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
everything happens for a reason <3


“Is it even worth it?”


Do you text and drive? Did you know traffic fatalities due to texting and driving is becoming one of the leading causes of death among teenagers? Ongoing, nonstop communication with friends can seem like a harmless way to be social but it could also take your life of someone else’s. What is so terrifying is that teens do this everyday. Recently, the no “Texting while driving” law has been made. I truly feel strongly about this and believe that no one should get away with texting and driving.


Its extremely important teens abide by this law because they are not experienced drivers. They need to keep their full attention on the road and worry more about the safety of others. This law did not change anything for them. If anything it took their focus off the road even more. They are so worried that they are going to get caught that they try to hide it and text on or under their seats. In my opinion, the law made everything worse.


A few weeks ago, I lost a friend to texting and driving. She was only twenty years old. She was on the highway texting and she slammed into a tree and died instantly. Before this tragedy happened I wouldn’t have thought that texting and driving was so bad coming from a girl who has her phone glued to her hand. But something like this shouldn’t have to happen before people realize how dangerous texting and driving really is.


A law isn’t put into effect for no reason. A law is instituted to protect the safety of everyone and to make life better in a small way. I want to spread the word to teenagers across the world. If they would just realize the consequences they would think twice about it. So, next time you pick up your phone while driving ask yourself two questions. Is this text to my friend that important? Is this text worth cutting my life or the life of someone else’s short? Put the phone down, I promise you it will be there when you put the car into park!