Child Obesity | Teen Ink

Child Obesity

By Cupcakecat BRONZE, Evanston, Wyoming
Cupcakecat BRONZE, Evanston, Wyoming

You have seen people like this around there the ones that have a hard time walking with out getting tired really easy. They don't like P.E. As much as other kids because they have a hard time participating in any physical activity. Those kids are the ones that are over weight and at risk of becoming obese. The child obesity rate is going up. Children and teens ages 12 to 19 has gone up from 5% to 18% according to http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html. So children and teens need to get up and get more active.

There are many ways teens become overweight. First and foremost, many families cook less and eat out more during the week when there busy, lots of children have easy access to cheap but high calorie junk foods. Kids eat food portions that are way bigger then they are suppose to be. Schools are also cutting back or eliminating P.E. The big reason is kids now a days spend so much time on the computer or video games that they have no time to get out side and be active.

There are tons of affects of being over weight or obese. Many kids get teased and excluded from many things because of it. That leads to low self esteem, negative body image and sometimes even depression. Some times all that teasing and pressure of being over weight drives kids to commit suicide. There are many problems that can occur physically when your over weight to. Such as heart disease, breathing problems, liver problems, loss of vision, high cholesterol, bone and joint problems, sleep apnea and diabetes. Children that are over weight and carry that to adult hood many times die a premature death as a adult.

There are different things you can do to become healthier and lose weight. You can set a time of day to get up from the t.v. Or video games and go out side to exercise. You can eat your favorite foods still just reduce the amount of it you eat and add a side of fruits or vegetables. Also try not to eat greasy food every day. Like at my school they serve pizza three times a week!! If your school dose that eat it once and then you could bring a healthy lunch from home for the other days. Walk to near by places instead of calling your parents to give you a ride it won't kill you and it will end up helping you in the future. All those things would help our nation get healthier. I also think that the U.S. Should follow japans example. They are one of the nations healthiest nations because there people almost always eat fish and rice and only drink tea. They have no fried food like we do here in America. Many of there people do not have cars so every day when they go to work they walk or ride a bike. It gets them to the place they want and it gets them there exercise for the day.

So if you think your over weight or know a friend who is over weight. Exercise or help your friend exercise. It will save you from so many problems in the future if you are healthy weight. So just eat healthy and exercise and you won't have to worry about a thing.