Popularity Vs Smarts | Teen Ink

Popularity Vs Smarts

December 13, 2010
By yld97 BRONZE, Fort Walton Beach, Florida
yld97 BRONZE, Fort Walton Beach, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Popularity only last so long, being smart is a gift forever.

Kids especially teenagers are always worrying of being popular and, about what people think of them. Thoughts like this looks to expensive but, it will make me more popular at school so, I’ll buy it or I know the answer to this question but, my friends will think I’m a nerd so, I shouldn’t get it right are roaming in their heads, but do they ever think about that someday school will be over. Then reality will strike them and, they will realize that in their job interview their boss won’t be looking at how popular you were. She/he will be looking at how smart you were in school.
A lot of kids I know sometimes try to fail on purpose or try to act dumb so, people will “like” them. Even though deep inside me I know they are amazingly smart. Why do they have to do this to themselves? They are not only damaging themselves they are damaging their future.
Neither my dad nor my uncles were the most popular kids in school but, now they own over a hundred of construction companies. And some of his peers and people who made fun of him are now working for them.
In my point of view I would diffidently choose smarts than popularity. Even if I’m not going to have a mass of friends I would at least have my true friends with me not the ones that are with me because I’m “cool”. You never know like my dad I might be that “cool” kid’s boss someday.