Popularity Vs Smarts | Teen Ink

Popularity Vs Smarts

By yld97 BRONZE, Fort Walton Beach, Florida
yld97 BRONZE, Fort Walton Beach, Florida

Popularity only last so long, being smart is a gift forever.

Kids especially teenagers are always worrying of being popular and, about what people think of them. Thoughts like this looks to expensive but, it will make me more popular at school so, I’ll buy it or I know the answer to this question but, my friends will think I’m a nerd so, I shouldn’t get it right are roaming in their heads, but do they ever think about that someday school will be over. Then reality will strike them and, they will realize that in their job interview their boss won’t be looking at how popular you were. She/he will be looking at how smart you were in school.
A lot of kids I know sometimes try to fail on purpose or try to act dumb so, people will “like” them. Even though deep inside me I know they are amazingly smart. Why do they have to do this to themselves? They are not only damaging themselves they are damaging their future.
Neither my dad nor my uncles were the most popular kids in school but, now they own over a hundred of construction companies. And some of his peers and people who made fun of him are now working for them.
In my point of view I would diffidently choose smarts than popularity. Even if I’m not going to have a mass of friends I would at least have my true friends with me not the ones that are with me because I’m “cool”. You never know like my dad I might be that “cool” kid’s boss someday.

Stevenbills said...
on Mar. 28 2017 at 8:59 am
Please use some better grammar for christ sake.

TreyAmazing said...
on Dec. 17 2010 at 8:23 am
TreyAmazing, Florida
Well, possessing both doesn't hurt either :). Especially when your popular for being smart (cough cough Bill Gates).

Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

I've never understood why people want to be "popular' since popularity is something that can change in an instant. Being smart also has it's drawbacks. Being a parrot only gets you so far. You need to be able to make friends and function in society. Sadly, many people are so focused on being smart and popular, that they lose their ability to relate to people. I'd rather have a mixture.  

Jakethesnake BRONZE, Hernando, Mississippi

"Read, Read... Read everything, then write."-William Faulkner

Mi amiga (sorry if I get this wrong, but I am now working under the assumption that you are a girl, due to the she/he instead of he/she) I agree with you on many of your few points. However, When approaching a problem, try to offer a solution instead of saying "That's wrong, that's wrong." It just doesn't get you anywhere. 

For instance, the solution is to find a way to 'encourage children/young adults to be their own person; to not let anybody dictate who they are.' 

And how would we do this? Well, first of all, you would have to change how the media works. The media dictates how young adults think, so, say we make it to where it encourges them to be themselves, we would be turning the problem into the solution. 

Other than that, it was great. I see the same thing all the time and I admire girls and guys who admit that they have A's and B's. Good points, mi amiga. Until next time, adios.