Censorship | Teen Ink

Censorship

By Anthony Halbert BRONZE, Bainbridge, New York
Anthony Halbert BRONZE, Bainbridge, New York

Do you ever get the feeling where everything you do is being monitored? Like the music you listen to, the websites you visit, or even the phone calls you make all are being monitored without you knowing. It crazy to think that these things exist and most people don’t believe it is true but others believe and are very aware of the possibility. The fact is it is very possible for governments to censor media and information. Governments such as China censor material that is on the internet. The Chinese government has a filtering system that censors websites that may be considered to be offensive websites to the Chinese people. They censor websites such as western news sources, anti-China websites, Taiwanese sites, and pornography. In 2007 Singapore decided to censor certain websites because they believe these websites threatened the sanctity of society. Even our own country has its ways to censor media and information. Western countries such as our own, UK, and Germany regularly ask Google to remove websites that may be offensive to people. That’s pretty crazy considering there are several hundred million searches everyday through Google. If the government has control of what is viewed on the internet think about what else the government has been controlling. Imagine that everything you know and have learned was part of a plan that was thought of before you were born. It is as if you are a puppet and the government is the puppeteer. Think as if things that you see may not be as they appear. Like you may feel like you have the power to live your life how you want but really you are being controlled by what you learn in school or by what you hear on the news. Certain books are banned throughout schools in the United States. The top four books banned from schools in the United States are Impressions by Jack Booth, Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.