They and Everybody | Teen Ink

They and Everybody

By bookaholic SILVER, Wichita, Kansas
bookaholic SILVER, Wichita, Kansas

"A word is dead when it is said, some say. I say it just begins to live that day."-Emily Dickinson

We can do whatever we want. As long as it’s okay with “they” and “everybody”. You can follow your dreams, as long as somebody has done it before. You can see the world, if They let you come in. You can have whatever job you want, as long as Everybody says it’s normal. You can have your own house, as long as They want you to have it. You can have your own family, if Everybody says its okay. They and Everybody. Two people almost nobody has met. Isn’t it funny, how you can’t do it unless Everybody says it’s okay? America used to be the place of freedom. Now, it is not. They and Everybody call it something else. They calls it, “Protecting the people.” Everybody calls it, “Not ruining your life.” Because what you thought was your life, really isn’t. It’s They’s and Everybody’s. They choose your life. Everybody says if it’s okay. You have to marry certain people They say is okay. You have to have a dream Everybody thinks is realistic. You have to listen to what They and Everybody say, because it the law. The unspoken law of the world. They raised you that way. And Everybody will raise your family that way. We are all related by one factor. We can do what we want. As long as it’s okay with They and everybody.