Pledge of Ignorance

“Please rise for the Pledge of Allegiance,” the intercom barks, echoing through the empty hallways.

There are scratches as chairs grate against the cheap tile floor. I place my right hand over my heart involuntary.

“I pledge allegiance, to the Flag, of the United States of America,” the loudspeaker drones, and some classmates join in halfheartedly.

“And to the Republic, for which it stands…”
Is that really what it stands for? Aren’t basic rights what incited the thought of freedom? What about democracy, freedom of speech?

“One nation, under God…”
Under God. Those words cause so much controversy. America was settled by brave souls, fleeing from oppressive governments to religious freedom. But now I suppose we all have to be under the same God. Just like everyone should rule with democracy—just like everyone else’s beliefs are wrong.

“Indivisible…”
I chuckle. America, nation split in so many beliefs, indivisible? We disagree in politics (as healthy as that is), we disagree on gay rights, we disagree on the economy, we disagree on war, we disagree on education, we disagree on global warming. What don’t we disagree on? Our country could be wedged apart with if the right pressure was applied.

“With liberty, and justice, for all…”
Right. Minorities’ voices are falling upon deaf ears. Denying gay rights is justice? What about the Middle Easterners right to their beliefs? We claim to have gone to war to rid them of weapons—we’ve rid them of their way of life. What right do we have to go impose rules onto a people, to tell them that they’re living life wrong and force our way onto them? We’re preaching from a tainted bible. It’s time to step back and let scars heal themselves.

“Please note that class has started. Have a great day!” radios the intercom, signing off.

Chairs scrape the floor as students around me sit back down, following out the morning routine.

NotYoursFroever said...

Dude, So true.

All completely true. My school says it all together on our third floor (we are a small school) and every time we say it I either stand there or change some of the words, so it's something I can agree on. I won't say it until it's true, Glad to know someone believes the same thing. Thanks for posting this!

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution said...
yeah this is beautiful, honestly agree with everything in it

MaddieGr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks! Glad someone agrees :)

through_my_eyes said...
Oct. 8, 2010 at 7:59 am

I LOVE IT!!!!!

ITS AMAZING!!! :D

its like your opinion versus theirs, literally. Really glad you posted this up!!! 

Haha yeah this is what went through my head one morning. Thanks! :)