Guns: There is Nothing More to Say | Teen Ink

Guns: There is Nothing More to Say

By Beliza_Heart SILVER, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Beliza_Heart SILVER, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

"I cannot tell my story without going a long way back." Herman Hesse in the prolouge to Demian
“A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.” GK Chesterton

The fourth amendment to the U.S Constitution states that people are allowed to bear arms, but is this a good idea? I personally think it is not. Take a moment and clear your mind of all thoughts then try to remember all murders or injuries that were caused by guns. Think of all the suicides or robberies where guns were involved. There are thousands upon thousands of them and the list only gets bigger every day. So what if guns were ruled out, permanently. All these incidents would turn out differently. Now, some people may say that it is stupid to get rid of guns, like I think would be best. They say that we need them, but I say that we got along fine without them before they were invented. Guns give man a huge advantage over the lives of others, one that should only be held by fate and God, if that’s what you believe. Do we really need something that can kill so easily? Do we need to go to war with guns on our backs or someplace else? I don’t think so. Guns are merely a tool that humans use to fulfill the desire for power that rests in so many hearts. If we must have guns, which I feel we do not, then give them only to the people who should have them, such as high-end law enforcement and the secret service who protect the president. Don’t give them to thugs who could have done something better with their lives. Don’t give them to the hunters who hunt not for food but for the “thrill” of it. Don’t even give them to the military. The more than slightly over used line “with great power comes great responsibility” expresses what a lot of people ignore. The power that is given, the power to take a life with one shot, is often taken for granted and mistreated. Little kids, who aren’t even in school yet, are given toy guns to play with. What is this teaching them? That guns are dangerous weapons and not toys? Yeah, right, I think not. In some places, it’s considered a sport to be good at twirling guns like batons or shooting at far away targets. Video games like Halo have players stalking and killing other humans for sport, for the desire to win. Now put that in real life. That person that you just won points for killing had a family. They might have been married and had kids. Now that person’s family will hate you for the rest of your life because you took their loved one from them. Do I think it is good to kill? No, but humans can’t go a day without killing, it’s a part of life. So since killing can’t be outlawed, then I think that the main object that does the bloody work should be banned.

I'm very passionate about life and when I hear my clssmates say that we should blow this person up or shoot this @*%#! %@$^@&# i get severly angry and I want to share my opinion with other people, so that another opinion is added to this subject.

on Nov. 6 2010 at 11:27 am

I'm glad you liked it. I was just expressing my feelings and to be perfectly honest, I thought that I was one of few who felt this way.

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

This is very true. I'm forever grateful that I've found another reasonable person on the subject. Violence is such a sad thing; guns are just tools that allow humans to put their violence into action... Thanks for writing this!