Mor(t)ality | Teen Ink

Mor(t)ality

October 1, 2010
By Kassrole BRONZE, Ventura, California
Kassrole BRONZE, Ventura, California
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd. Smiling."


Oh man, this turned out very disorganized and not very sensible to anyone probably but myself. I hope my point is made.

I am not a religious person. I choose not to be swayed so much by the voices of prophets, but from the voices in my head. To me, religion is merely the few telling the many what to do, what not to do, what’s right, and what’s wrong; all based on a book of fairytales they inherited from a group of even fewer before them. It’s absolutely mind-boggling to see some my fellow students follow laws of morality that have been taught to them, not ones that they have figured out for themselves. So, my first point is, think for yourselves, please.

Another blogger mentioned in her blog to, “Thank God for morals [and] religion that influences us all.” First of all, if you have to thank God for your morals then there is something desperately wrong with your ability to reason. And also, say someone is not religious. Does this make them amoral? Was Albert Einstein amoral? Was John Lennon amoral? Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Benjamin Franklin, Earnest Hemingway, Robert Frost, Thomas Edison. Did all of these individuals lack moral standards? I think not.

Morality however is not the only thing I turn to when determining whether something is “right” or “wrong”. For this, I turn to MY OWN logic. For example, say some random guy busted into my house right now. Downstairs, I hear my father being beaten to a pulp, killed, and a few minutes later, my mother screaming out of the agony of being raped by the intruder. I turn to my side, and there happens to be a .44 caliber pistol (not that there is one normally). Now, here comes logic time. Am I to, by my moral standard of pacifism and non-violence, sit in my room crying and begging the assailant to cease his horrid deed? Or, am I to get off my ass, and take something which he does not deserve to have anymore. What does he not deserve? The right to live. Who am I to judge (my mother asks me during heated debates on the death penalty)? I am a logical human being that is not dependant on the word of an invisible person. I am a man who cannot wait for something that may or may not happen (judgment). I am a reasonable PERSON who has not been blinded by what other PERSONS tell me is right and wrong. What will I do? I will go downstairs, pistol in hand, and blow the brains out of the man who took my father’s life and caused my mother so much pain.

Now, I know many of you are now thinking, “But Kassrole, if there is no right and wrong, which I assume you believe, then what made you want to kill that man? He did no wrong, by your standards.” To you I say, never assume. There is a right and wrong. There has to be. And the people who are saying there is none are only partially correct. There is no “universal” right and wrong. What may be wrong to you may not be wrong to the person sitting next to you. It may be seemingly universally known that rape is wrong. But I guarantee you, that there is some sick f*** out of the 6,804,800,000 of us that firmly believes rape is some kind of holy ritual that is not only right, but necessary to his/her faith. And though it is so obvious that raping someone is a terrible, awful, horrifying thing to do to someone, that one sicko might just have some sick reasoning for his sick deeds.

Think of it like this. What if the “standard morals” we all live by today are all backwards in some screwed up parallel universe (blame physics, not me). What if, instead of Moses, some random guy ascended that hill, took two slabs of stone, told God to piss off, and wrote down HIS 10 Commandments:

1.
Thou shalt have multiple Gods.

2.
Thou shalt talk a whole bunch of shit about God all the time.

3.
Thou shalt sit on thy lazy ass every day, as if every day was a Sabbath

4.
Thou shalt disrespect, dishonor, and displease thy parents.

5.
Thou shalt murder anyone thou pleases.

6.
Thou shalt be polygamous.

7.
Thou shalt take whatever
thou pleases to take, whether or not it is your own.

8.
Thou shalt lie all the time.

9.
Thou shalt want everything.

10.
Thou shalt do whatever the f*** thou pleases.

Now imagine looking through a wormhole into this chaotic, out-of-control, and immoral world. Would they not look back at us and be disgusted in the same way? A generally accepted set of moral standards cannot always be looked upon for determining what is right and what is wrong.

There is indeed no such thing as a universal right or a universal wrong. Everybody has an opinion on the matter, whether it be self-derived, or shoved down one’s throat by someone else. Sure, some things are generally accepted as right and wrong, but nothing is ever as sure as RIGHT and WRONG.


The author's comments:
This was a blog I wrote last year. I guess its not so much a blog as it is a rant. Morality in my point of view.

The title is taken from John Gardner's novel: Grendel.