No Hable Espanol | Teen Ink

No Hable Espanol

September 22, 2010
By 1ClassicLady1 SILVER, Mona, Utah
1ClassicLady1 SILVER, Mona, Utah
6 articles 0 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
Success is not final and failure is not fatal. The courage to continue is all that matters in the end.
~Winston Churchill


Living in Utah, as I do, I'm surrounded by the issue of illegal immigration, and the headache the complaints give me. Even though it might seem so in the following article, i am not racist. I love the Melting Pot of the World idea for the United States.
But when my world has to be half Spanish, even though my ancestry is Norwegian, and I'm constantly having to hear about the "Mexicans taking all the jobs", that's when i have something to say.

I propose the following plan:

It should be required that all persons living legally in the United States should speak English.

Three reasons why this plan would be beneficial, and why it makes sense:

1. Requiring English as a second language would cause all illegal immigrants to be fairly obvious, and so would make catching them fairly easy. Also, it would discourage any crossing of the Mexican border into Texas or California or New Mexico.

2. English, they say, is one of the hardest languages to speak. Where most people can learn Spanish in the four years of high school, it takes public schools at least a decade to properly teach English to children. This plan would slow the immigration rates as the foreigners learn English.

3. The chances of getting into a good college are very slim if you do not know Spanish. If English is the required language, jobs would not require a second language unless it is basically the definition of the job. Therefore, getting into a good college would not be dependant on my learning Spanish.

Please, let me hear your thoughts on this. And let me tell you again, I am not being intentionally racist.


The author's comments:
This is something just off the top of my brain that would help the United States if it were passed... although, it might anger a country or two.