A Human Body Can Be a Canvas Too

In school kids are taught not to judge one another based on appearances. But as adults, we contradict our childhood lessons as we enter the work field. We go into work and are immediately judged by what we look like, more importantly; do we have any visible tattoos or piercings? If we do, we’re asked to take them out (piercings) or cover them up (tattoos.) My question is, for what reason?
In school we also learn to express ourselves through creativity, such as visual arts. And yet again, we get into the work field and suddenly our expression has to come to a halt because if we have a visible tattoo or piercings we might not get that job we were dying for, even if we’re a genuinely good person or a hard worker. People are too quickly judged by what they look like, in some cultures tattoos and piercings are a simple way of life, nothing out of the “norm.” But here in the United States tattoos and piercings are frown upon, for no particular reason that I’ve come across.
Because places rarely hire people with visible piercings and/or tattoos, people stop expressing themselves through body art for fear that they won’t be able to make a living and support themselves and/or family members, and all for what? The way a person looks? People come in all sizes and colors, with the advanced society we live in, you’d think people could take of their glasses and see that what’s on the inside is what matter, skin is just skin, and art will always be art, something beautiful and cherished, whether on canvas or on the human body.

mudpuppy said...
Well, I, too believe that you shouldn't judge people. :) I have to admit that your title is what snag my attention at first. I'm taking anatomy and physiology and I found this article to be interesting.

courtneyloux13 replied...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 8:06 pm :
Glad to hear =]

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

A very convincing and interesting argument.

I shall have to think about it...

mudpuppy replied...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 5:47 pm :
I think I will too.

courtneyloux13 said...
Sept. 25, 2010 at 6:31 am:
See stuff like that really bothers me! Who are they to tell you can't have piercings or tattoos showing? Glad you enjoyed it!

courtneyloux13 replied...
Sept. 25, 2010 at 1:36 pm :
That comment was in respone to Lola btw.

Lola. said...
Sept. 25, 2010 at 1:30 am:
I know exactly how you feel! They make me cover my eyebrow piercing with a band aid at school!

Xx-Adi-xX replied...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:47 pm :
Couldn't that like...rip your eyebrow hairs off?? That's just wrong!!!!

xXPookBabyzXx replied...
Feb. 22, 2011 at 5:40 am :
sorry this is a veryyyy late reply to this but i hav to say, ur luky, at my skool i hav to take mine out (nose piercing, lip piercing), but i just wear really clear thingy for thm n if a teacher comes close i quikly put thm bak in thn put thm bak in ahahhhh .. very long n late reply oh wel :D xxx

xXPookBabyzXx replied...
Feb. 22, 2011 at 5:43 am :
sorry i mean, i quikly tak it out thn put it bak in* v.v