Body Alterations in Hunger Games and U.S.A. | Teen Ink

Body Alterations in Hunger Games and U.S.A.

By Jared Gillen BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri
Jared Gillen BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri

Would you ever consider altering your body? In the book The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins the people from the capitol of Panem do. From tattoos to skin coloration, alterations happen every day. However, in The Hunger Games it is more extreme. Although people in The Hunger Games and Americans both alter their bodies, some alterations are similar, but at the same time, some are different.
People in Panem and The United States get tattoos. The people of Panem have tattoos on their arms, right above their eyes, their legs, and stomach. Basically, almost every visible place on their bodies is tattooed. Similar to the people of Panem, there are some in U.S.A. who also like to get tattoos. The difference between these two is that in the U.S.A, not all people have tattoos. In Panem, almost all of the richest decorate themselves with body art.
Also in Panem, some alterations include embeding diamonds into their skin and piercing their bodies. Just as piercings are minor in Panem, so too the diamond procedure is more popular. Although, Like in Panem, Americans peirce their skin. The limit for body piercings can range from one through covering their bodies. Also in Panem, when they have diamonds implnted into their skin, it makes their skin shine and allows them to flaunt some of their jewelry accessories.
Skin dye was a factor in The Hunger Games and still is a factor today in the United States. Today in the United States, it’s not so much that they dye their skin purple; it’s that they get spray tans. Spray tans would be considered subordinate compared to what they do to their skin in Panem. In Panem, people can have their skin dyed to whatever color they desire. One similarity with people in Panem and the United States can also make their skin semi-colored to a design. The reason people in Panem color their skin is to be recognized and show wealth. Also in the United States, there is something called henna. Henna is body coloration. To color their skin they crush up the leaves of a henna plant and the leaves are applied to the hands and feet. When the crushed leaves are mixed with things like black tea and coffee, they produce a dark, charcoal color.
Facial alterations also occur today in the U.S.A. and in Panem. In Panem people have their lips stretched. They also have their lips enlarged so they appear more massive. Both these procedures are for people who think their mouths should be more appealing. Today in the United States, people have face transplants. Usually these face implants happen if someone or something mutilates their face.
However, another alteration that occurs in the United States would be plastic surgery. Plastic surgery includes repairing mutilated body parts, nose jobs, treating burns, increasing the size of breasts, male to female sex changes or vice versa, etc. Just as people who needed the surgery to repair their maimed condition, so too some who choose get plastic surgery to alter their appearance. The surgery mainly became popular when in WW1, a doctor named Harold Gillies used it to repair crippled British soldiers. In 1946 Gillies performed the first female to male sex change. In Panem, it didn’t mention plastic surgery but with all the alterations they have performed, it wouldn’t be surprising if they used it to increase the size of their breasts.
In the United States there are many surgeries that are meant for losing weight. From liposuction to tummy tuck people are serious about losing weight. Liposuction is a procedure where the patient has fat removed from various places on their body. Common areas include their thighs, buttocks, neck, back of their arms, and their abdomen. The procedure of tummy tuck is where the patient has some excess skin removed from certain areas of their body. There are many ways for people to lose weight but these are two of the more aggressive options.
Do you really care what people say about your body? Honestly, does it really matter what they think? Maybe they’re just jealous. People will always banter with one another 9r that some may find hurtful. As the years pass new surgeries will evolve. Which procedure will someone’s words trick you into having done?

evore SILVER said...
evore SILVER, KC,MO, Kansas
love your article