Hunger Games Looks and Appearances vs. United States Appearances | Teen Ink

Hunger Games Looks and Appearances vs. United States Appearances

By Shanley Lenart BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri
Shanley Lenart BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri

Are looks really everything? People in the United States do care about their appearance; however, in The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins, the lives of the people who live in the Capitol practically revolve around their looks and appearances. Although a lot of people in the United States get their bodies re-done, people in the Hunger Games get themselves changed to the extreme.

Many people in the United States get their bodies changed because they fret over a little bump in their nose or they think that something is wrong with their body so they decide to get their bodies re-done. Changing their bodies boosts people’s self esteem and makes them feel great. In the United States, many people get a lot of different things in their body re-done. For example, many people get surgical face treatments so they look nicer and younger. One of the surgeries is a face lift, where if people have a “double chin,” they get the fat removed which makes their face look skinnier. Some more common transplants are nose jobs and getting chins re-done. A lot of people in the United States get their faces changed.

People in the United States also worry about being fat. To look thin, some people have a surgery called the tummy tuck. During a tummy tuck, a surgeon takes out most of the fat in the person’s stomach area, making a person’s stomach look thinner. There is also Liposuction where you get fat removed from your hips, thighs, upper arms, and more. But now, they have made belts that make people look thinner. For example, a woman used a six inch wide belt to give herself a fifteen inch waist and had the skinniest waist in 2005 according to the 2005 Guinness Book of World Records. People love looking skinny in the United States.

Everywhere you look, men and women have people put some crazy things on their bodies. Many people in United States get tattoos. People love getting tattoos because they can get any design anywhere on their body. Some people have even gotten tattoos on their tongues and even on their eyes! Famous rappers in the United States have tattoos on their neck, entire back, and more. People think it looks cool when they have a tattoo, even though they know they will keep it forever. Although, if you ever want your tattoo removed, you need laser surgery to get it off completely. Not only do people get tattoos, some people in the United States also get piercings. Women usually have one pierce in each ear, which in the United States is normal. However, some people get piercings in the belly button, tongue, nose, and eyebrows.
The people of the United States are just as odd when it comes to dressing wildly, so too do the citizens in Capitol of the Hunger Games want to look fascinating. The people who live in the Capitol in the Hunger Games are crazy about the way they look. The Capitol has bountiful places to get plastic surgery, tattoos, and piercings. People in the Capitol try to look as rich as possible because they know they are in the rich area, and they want to look their absolute best. Instead of just getting a spray tan to darken their skin, the citizens of the Capitol get their skin dyed to an entire new color including pink, blue, and green. For instance, Effie Trinket dyed her hair pink to match her wig.
In the United States, people just get piercings. At the Capitol, people get diamonds imbedded into their skin. It is like a piercing only it makes them look shiny and what they think beautiful. At the Capitol, they also like looking shiny and polished. It makes them look glossy and makes them feel gorgeous too.
When Peeta and Katniss were going to take the interview, they needed to be unforgettable. They were on fire. Once they won the game, they got glossed up and every little scratch they had got removed. They had their hair re-done, wore the fanciest clothes, and were on their best behavior. Katniss hated dressing up; she wanted to be dressed up in a frugal way.
The people in United States and the Capitol from The Hunger Games are not all different. They are similar too. People who live in both of the places get tattoos on themselves, making themselves look special. People from the United States and the Capitol also like dyeing their hair and skin. The people who live in the Capitol and the United States also both get implants.

The citizens in the Capitol worry a lot about their looks. The people of the United States also worry about their looks, only not as much. Just think in a couple of years how obsessed people will be about their looks. People in the United States may start getting their noses flattened into almost nothing like in the Capitol of the Hunger Games. If only we could revert to not having any more plastic surgery, tattoos, or piercings. How long will it take us to drop all the way to the Capitol’s looks and appearances?

I love English

evore SILVER said...
evore SILVER, KC,MO, Kansas
nice article

LilSarah BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri

None

You Welcomeeee

You made ittt

Get betterrr

You know what I mean

Thank You!

LilSarah BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri

None

Yay Shanley!!

I think its gooodddd