Poverty and World Hunger | Teen Ink

Poverty and World Hunger

By why_not36 BRONZE, Commerce City, Colorado
why_not36 BRONZE, Commerce City, Colorado

Have you ever stopped to think about the world around you? Well the world is both an interesting and horrifying place. Two of the most horrifying things is world hunger and poverty. Did you know the definition of Poverty is: deficiency of necessary or desirable ingredients, qualities? And the definition of Hunger is: the painful sensation or state of weakness caused by the need of food. Well I invite into the horrifying world of poverty and world hunger…

First on our stop is poverty were men, women, and children are know to fight for there right to survive, and if they are not able to death is a one way road. At least 80% of all humanity lives on less than ten dollars a day. (Global issues) Ten dollars to us is like nothing we can go out and spend it like we didn’t even have it, but to the families living in poverty ten dollars is like hitting the lottery. Can you imagine living on ten dollars a day? According to the UNICEF, 24,000 children die due to poverty. (Global issues) Now that’s sad that we as people are sucked in to our own lives that innocent little children would die , and I bet not even half of the world knows that these kids die. Eighty percent of our world in poverty, children dying from it, poverty is like a fast spreading decease we need to find a cure before it consumes us all.

Now onto the exciting world of hunger were the people try to fill there stomachs with the tiniest amount of food. Did you know that there are more than 1.02 billion chronically hungry people in the world? That’s almost one third of the U.S.A.’s population. How could 1.02 billion people be so hungry while most Americans are throwing away food that starving people would kill for? Every year 15 million children die of hunger, and every 16 seconds someone somewhere in the world dies of hunger. Imagine if you were in the re shoes and you saw one of you friends or siblings dying because they were too hungry to even move anymore. One in four people live on less than 1 dollar a day, while the world 358 billionaires have assets exceeding the combine annual incomes of countries with 45% of the world people. Why are the billionaires not helping out the own almost half of the worlds money alone why can’t they help out? The world of hunger is like a blazing fire that cant be stopped the only way to save yourself and get out, but we need to be like firefighters and help out or our forest along with the people inside it is going to be ashes left with the memory of we could’ve saved them.

Now, why don’t people help for what reasons are we Turing our backs on our fellow men and women? Here are some reasons or excuses of why not to help. Some might say that they can’t afford to help or they have there own lives to worry about. Another excuse would be its not my fault there in poverty. Also if they are helping they would say that it is too hard and they might just give up. I have to tell you though that it wouldn’t be so hard if we all learned to pitch in and care for each other. Let me tell you something so easy to do that will make a big impact. All we would have to do is to get every person in America to donate just one dollar that would be a little over 3 million dollars. That’s a lot of money and it could make a huge difference.

Now we have seen both sides of this argument. We even learned something that we can do as people to even help the effort to fight poverty. No matter what you excuse or reason that you say you can’t help there is no doubting that you can. Just think second you wait to help is another person affected by the disease of poverty and another person burnt by the flame of hunger.

on Sep. 11 2010 at 1:54 am
spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
you need to get some statistcs right but other than that its amazing and many more people who ever will read this need to