Project Wrist Cutters

Today, I was trying to find a picture of cut wrists for a project I have to hand in. You know what I found instead? Tips… on how to slit your veins open successfully.
Now, I am well aware that we all have the right to express ourselves, but why would you help a suicidal person get information? And, more importantly, why does the government allow this?
I actually read somewhere that lack of information on how to do it right is what mainly causes people to refrain from killing themselves. So why not take down all the pages where instructions are given to slit your wrists?
It’s the least we can do.

youveleftmespeechless This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's not just wrist cutting, there are web sites out there with information on all sorts of self-harm, from suicide to anorexia. I know it's terrible, but people have every right to it, and taking down information like this is censorship. There are certain cases in which if someone is directly influenced to kill themselves by media like this, the person who wrote the how-to can be prosecuted, but it's rare.

lizzymwrites replied...
Sept. 9, 2010 at 8:16 pm :
Censorship... yes. The expanded article deals with that. It's called EXPANDING PROJECT WRIST CUTTERS. You can find it on my page if you're interested in the topic and want to read more.

Meggy129 said...
Sept. 3, 2010 at 10:53 am:
Cutting is a heavy topic and I myself have seen websites that show you how to cut and find it ridiculous that there allowed to be shown. The only information that should be on the internet about cutting is how to prevent yourself from doing it or information on places that can help you stop cutting.

lizzymwrites replied...
Sept. 9, 2010 at 8:19 pm :
exactly!! if you want to read more, the expanded version of this is on my profile =)

J. Rae said...
The problem is, that sadly there are people who want to hurt themselves. I think that it is good that there is this information that these people can find. If they cut a wrong way, they could bleed to death before anybody could stop it. But there should also be information on how bad it is to cut with it, or some way to try and convince them to not cut.

amybug said...
yeah it was good. i don't understand why people do put that stuff out there, its so wrong. however, the government dosen't take it down, because we as citizens have rights such as free speech and press. and so and so forth. and yeah of course it could've been longer, everyone on this site wants thing to be longer than a paragraph, my self included. so yeah to make a really strong statement, i suggest you make it longer.

lizzymwrites replied...
Sept. 9, 2010 at 8:20 pm :
thanks for the suggestion! I did, it's called EXPANDING PROJECT WRIST CUTTERS =)

Writer24 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 1, 2010 at 1:22 am:
It could've been longer, but I completely agree with the artircle!  Why would anyone help others hurt themselves?

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 1, 2010 at 2:46 am :
I agree, it could have been longer.

lizzymwrites replied...
Sept. 1, 2010 at 2:30 pm :
Well, yeah, obviously. It was just me, ranting, LOL