Capital Punishment: A Sad Thing

Death is certainly a curious thing. It is often longed for by those who are suffering but avoided at all costs by those who have so much to live for. Some claim to know what it leads to, while others seem to accept its absolute mystery. Death is bestowed, with apparent grace, upon those in pain but forced with terrible wrath upon other people.

Because death is such a complex thing, we have to question the act of capital punishment. The theory behind it is the ‘justice’ that whoever commits a terrible crime will in turn have their life taken. This is ‘an eye for an eye,’ one of the most flawed sayings I can think of.

Murder is, undoubtedly, wrong. The crime is not, I think, in the death that is caused but the pain that is inflicted and the life that is being prevented. Whoever would take someone’s life or rape a person goes beyond making a simple mistake; that is clear. But, it is also clear that everybody commits wrongdoings. Some commit them on a much larger scale than others, but they sin in such a way because they are human. Humans sin. On the flip side, every criminal has something good in them, because they are human. But their mind is twisted in such a way and their heart is filled with just enough darkness that to hurt other people seems okay. Maybe they had a sad life and were done wrong, so they ended up this way. Think of them as having ill hearts and minds.

It is already known that murder and rape are terrible things. When I dwell on them, I am sorry that anyone would stoop low enough to be involved with them. They hurt the victim and their family and friends unimaginably. But killing them does not reverse it. It does not make everything right. It is merely adding to the wrongdoing and fighting hate with hate.

Capital punishment is the extreme act of striking back and is by no means justice. When a criminal commits a severe crime, I think he should just lose his right to freedom. In other words, a long sentence of imprisonment. Mostly, this is for the protection of others. But this sentence does not mean that he is condemned to a state that he can’t be forgiven. If society can’t learn to forgive, we can’t move forward. Another death will not solve the conflict.

I think capital punishment is one of society’s deepest mistakes. I hope that it will learn that it will not fix the wrongdoing and all states will ban it. And if the government thinks that it is worth it to take a human life because doing otherwise is too expensive, that is very sad. If they want to exchange lives for dollars, I have no hope for the government.

Best of wishes to the criminals, that they may feel sorry for what they did. And may they have a chance to live so that they me feel this remorse and turn their lives around.

Aderes18 said...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 1:34 am:

In Islam, we have a quote "Killing one person is like killing huamnity".

Also, when a murder is committed, family members decide the murderer's fate. But mercy is much better.

So, in a way, I agree with you.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 10:59 am :

Ah yes, a wonderful quote which I have heard many times before...

Just curious, is there a way in which you disagree with me.

Aderes18 replied...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 1:30 pm :
Actually, I just changed my opinion. I kinda agree with capital punishment because what happens if the guy escapes?

Jul. 23, 2011 at 5:37 pm :
Taking the lives of prisoners out of paranoia of their escape would be allowing fear to make countries immoral, which has happened for too long already. Prisons are, as far as I'm aware, fairly secure; breakouts are VERY rare.

Aderes18 replied...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 6:16 pm :
OK, I agree with that. Actually, I think capital punishment is horrible. I remember I saw the movie       The Green Mile about that, very sad. Have you seen it, with Tom Hanks? I don't know, my opinion keeps flip-flopping on this one.

Jul. 24, 2011 at 10:29 am :

That movie was simply heartbreaking! I never read Stephen King's novel, on which the movie is based, but it was a beautiful story.

If your opinion keeps changing, I suggest you follow what your heart says. Always works for me. :)

Aderes18 replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 1:51 pm :

I 100% agree.

My heart doesn't have an opinion on this one, probably because it's an issue that I'm not very passionate about.

Aderes18 said...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 1:33 am:

I agree with this. In Islam, we have a quote

"Killing one person is like killing humanity. "

In Islam, when a murder is committed, the family member decide the murderer's fate. But mercy is much better.

But In Islam, when a rape or molestation is committed, they are killed. I agree with this because oftentimes the victims are so horrified. They should never have the chance to see them again.

So in a way, I agree with you on murder. But not rape.

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 12:56 pm:
Very lucid writing, good job. :) 

I disagree with you, however. Forgiveness is great, but don't forget that punishment is also a deterrent.

As for turning their lives around, I don't think a life sentence really gives you the opportunity to do that. And, in my humble opinion, if they can't feel remorse in the 2+ years that it takes for them to be sentenced to death (for trials often take that long), then they are in severe need of a wake up call.

I do think ... (more »)

Jul. 5, 2011 at 3:47 pm :
My, my, it has been a year since I wrote this article. My beliefs have stayed the same, yet I do think I would write it differently now, probably with a little less gaps in the logic.

Jul. 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm :

Remorse, I now realize, is improbable; except for regretting the prison sentence or the death penalty.

A quote, perhaps, for you: "As if one crime of such nature, done by a single man, acting individually, can be expiated by a similar crime done by all men, acting collectively." In other words, the act of capital punishment does nothing to reduce the crime. In my personal belief, it is the state's duty to keep others safe from the wrongdoer and God's place to work out the rest.

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 1:56 am :
(Only just got your reply. TI sure sucks sometimes.)

I understand what you're saying, and while I do think blood-money (or prison) and forgiveness are a greater option if the family chooses to do so, it is the job of punishments to act as deterrents along with carrying out justice. I find capital punishment a far greater deterrent than prison with the chance of parole (or if you're in Canada, even being let out!). 

So, no, it would not be a "crime" to kill someo... (more »)

evore said...
i agree completly capitol punishment is horible

Jul. 5, 2011 at 3:44 pm :

Ah, I haven't responded to you in eight months! How horrible of me!

Anyway, thanks for your complete agreement!

xlivelaughloveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Despite the fact that I am an avid supporter of capital punishment, I think this was really well written. You make a lot of interesting points, but--if you don't mind me saying!--most of them appeal to emotion, rather than reason. (I obsess about logic, LOL.)

Even still, I think it was nicely put together. I think it's interesting that even though I hold my own point of view, I can see how you portrayed yours clearly through your writing. [:

Sept. 13, 2010 at 5:21 pm :
Yes, I noticed that also. This is because my political stances have largely emotional bases. I find the alternative, bare logic, to often be cold and cruel. This leads me to opt for forgiveness and continuation of life even when it's unreasonable.

Sept. 13, 2010 at 5:23 pm :
I am so grateful for your openmindedness. You strongly disagree with me, yet you hand out a compliment. That sort of friendliness is essential in politics. No, I don't mind your comment. I've never feared opposition.

LondonEye This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I love where you say, "But killing them does not reverse it. It does not make everything right. It is merely adding to the wrongdoing and fighting hate with hate." 

I, too, disagree with Capital Punishment. 

Aug. 17, 2010 at 7:08 pm :
Thanks very much! I'm glad that you agree with me on this subject, for it's so important to me that people hear what I'm saying (or writing).

lorena.loves.stars said...
I see your point in this article, i love your poetry work. But Capital Punishment is Americas most debatable topics.