Blaming The Victim | Teen Ink

Blaming The Victim

By lawrence pope BRONZE, Houston, Texas
lawrence pope BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Have you ever been hurt? Have you ever been punched or kicked? Then an adult or teacher sees what happened and you think that the people who just hit you will be brought to justice.Although they blame you instead. Are you tired of getting yelled at for getting hit while the culprits just walk away without so much as a mean look? If thats not enough they ask if you understand what you did wrong. After all that to avoid trouble you just cower and bend over and just say yes. Where all you really want to do is give them the finger and walk off.
Atleast 8 out of every 10 people have been blamed for something they didnt do. It has happened for decades and yet nobody has stepped up to make a change.Part of it is the one annoying defence mechanism that goes off every time you get blamed. When someone blames you its the part when they cut you off that tickes you off the most. Not only do they blame you for something you didnt do but they also wont let you explain how they are completely wrong.
People need to learn to ask before they yell.Its the only way to stop this problem. Just asking them could help.Try not to cut them off when they talk.Althought it wont be easy we have to try.
There can be many problems with that solution. People arent as easy as i just mentioned.You could pound and pound and pound information into someone and they wont know a thing.It's not like you can just expect someone to change overnight.So it will take a while, but in time we can stop blaming the victim.

LMJC said...
This is a great article! I'd like to see more from this author!