Not Americans but still Humans | Teen Ink

Not Americans but still Humans

By iayydreee2014 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
iayydreee2014 BRONZE, Houston, Texas

“When you belong to a minority, you have to be better in order to have the right to be equal.”

A language or a certain appearance doesn't define your race. A Hispanic is not necessarily a Mexican and an Asian is not necessarily a Chinese. Different people come from different places around the world and not just one place. Hispanics do not only come from Mexico, we come from many different countries in Latino America. They are all the other countries that are throughout the south of the border. They are all separate and distinct countries with different cultures and people. We aren't all the same.

It angers Hispanics to be called Mexican, after being "mistaken" as one multiple times it makes me feel ignored. It’s unknown really why, but we take that as a pretty big insult. Especially when you first introduce yourself, makes us think it’s your first encounter with a Hispanic. Immediately you leave a bad impression about yourself and make us feel insulted. You obviously aren't aware of those around you and your everyday life. You don't seem to be aware of the issues around you with Hispanics around the world and in the U.S.

Today alone thousands of immigrants from places south of the border have come to the U.S. As we speak, the U.S. is slowly but surely becoming inhabited by Hispanics which may someday may be a majority population if not any other race. They come here originally with the motive of new opportunities and new life, but instead face new or more problems. With the restraints the government places upon them seems to make nothing improve but instead make situations worse. There gateway back home and to the U.S. through Mexico seems to be getting closed to block them out. It all seems to complicated now with the many issues that have been arising in previous years and the future issues that will come with time.

It’s hard to believe how this country was and supposedly is the “land of the free”, that doesn’t really seem to be the case for immigrants. The issues are more towards the southern border, but not too much to the northern border which leads to Canada. But why is it that the U.S. seems to care more about those that come from the south? Is it cause of our appearance? Is it cause we speak more of our language than English? Yes, indeed we are different, but we are still human beings. No matter where you are from, we all share the same home basically. We all live on this world, don’t we? So why don’t we know who we are surrounded by. I don’t mean personally, and you are forced to have a conversation with every single person on the planet. I am only saying, why aren’t we aware of our society and what it faces? As humans we have attitude qualities that may not be the best, an example is being selfish. We aren’t selfish by not knowing who we are surrounded by, we do know, just aren’t aware that there are more the three countries in the world. We only remember so many things we learned in school, and not even in school do we learn about the ENTIRE world. We only learn about the major countries. When encountering a person from another country you just assume they are from one of those major countries, for someone from a country in Latino America it is Mexico. When you are finally told the person is from a country you have never heard of that just leads you to question, oh? Leaving you not really thinking about it, a person should maybe embrace the fact they just met a new person from a new place, a new place to them that is, and learn about that country and gain knowledge from their new friend. As humans though we just ignore it and go with it that this person is just from some country and not A country. It’s a natural instinct the first time, but the second time, the same mistake shouldn’t be made.

No matter the race or the appearance, we are all welcome in the world. Right now we may not be the only or the major part of society, but in time you never know. Progression is a part of growing, and that’s where the world is. Growing in numbers, cities growing in size, families growing, the whole world is growing. We don’t seem to be headed back, but yet going forward into the future. Right now we may be “Mexicans” to the world, but someday each race will be known, awareness will grow.