Teen Pregnancy | Teen Ink

Teen Pregnancy

May 13, 2010
By vballgirllyy BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
vballgirllyy BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

“Sex won’t make him or her yours and a baby won’t make them stay.” This quote was found on stayteen.org a site for teen girls. There are also many other sites for teens such as pregnancy.com. Teen pregnancy was on the rise especially in the United States but it is on the decline since about 2000. Teen pregnancy is one hundred percent preventable. I think that we need to do more to stop this number from growing, and growing. Many teens are starting to have sex when they are a young and clueless teenager’s. This is because they think they are so called “in love” with the partner or boyfriend/girlfriend. In reality boys don’t have their heads on exactly straight when they are in high school. Their hormones are like little racecars racing around inside them like the Indy 500. As you read I am going to talk about prevention, options, and how to deal. They are very good ways to start talking.

Prevention is the first step in the right direction, towards lowering the teen pregnancy rate. As statistics show abstinence is the number one way to be free from a teen pregnancy and all STD’s. As told in Google Health’s article for prevention, there are many abstinence education programs that encourage many teens to be abstinent. These kinds of programs are encouraged for anyone who is confused about sex and teen pregnancy. Birth control is something most girls and woman take. They think it will lower the risk of pregnancy or an STD, but that’s not always true. According to Livestrong.com the rate of teen pregnancy is “steadily declining,” due to the use of condoms. Doctors and physicians are now more then ever pushing people to use condoms to prevent certain pregnancies.

There are many options for teens who are expecting. Like for instance teens that aren’t ready to raise a child, there is always adoption. It’s one of the most recommended options according to Gladney Center for Adoption. But sadly only 2% of unmarried woman place their children up for adoption. Another option is keeping your baby and raising it yourself. I think that if you can provide your baby and yourself with all the necessities then you should do so. For those new mothers that can’t afford all the clothing and needs of a baby end up living in poverty. Other statistics have shown on Gladney Center for Adoption, 80% of young teen moms end up living in either poverty or on welfare. The final option for a mother, who can’t afford taking care of a baby and her family, is abortion. This won’t solve anything. Abortions in many towns and also religions are not okay. Abortion is taking away a life. Think before you act. Statistics show that one-third of teen’s that get pregnant have abortions. If you are a teen and are ever struggling when having a child, there are many places you can go to get help or just talk.

Teen pregnancy is 100% preventable. Most teen parents can’t provide for themselves and end up on welfare provided by the state according to studies. You should always think before you have unprotected sex. “Do I want to raise a child at my age?” What will your answer be? I hope that for you it’s NO! Your partner should understand, so wait until you are married and can afford a child. Wait until you find the one person you truly love and want to spend the rest of your life with. Give your first child the best life you can ever give.