Physical Education: Why We Need More of It

Did you know that over 67% of Americans either overweight or obese? Well, believe it or not, as of late 2009, it's a proven fact. America has shown a weight gaining trend since fast food has arrived, and these numbers will continue to increase unless something is done to stop it in the near future. Lucky for us, the answer is right in front of our faces. No, I'm not talking about getting rid of all fast food chains around the country. What I'm talking about is much less drastic, that most kids from grades K-12 participate in every other day, known as Physical Education.

With the growing obesity problem here in the United States, it only makes sense for schools to increase the time that kids participate in physical activity per day. For most schools across America, Physical Education, also known as Gym, is a class that goes on for about an hour every other day. If schools across the country can simply change this to a daily class, the amount of exercise kids get will double, along with a drastic decrease in childhood obesity. A good Cardio workout is considered raising your heart rate for about 20 minutes per day, and doing this only 2-3 times per school week simply isn't good enough.

While talking to my peers about this issue, many of them stated that the activities that we partake in throughout the class aren't always very energy consuming. For example, sports like Golf don't give you a very good workout, so they shouldn't be taught in a Physical Education class. Gym should be limited to sports such as basketball, tennis, badminton, and other activities that require intense movement and a good amount of energy to be used.

While talking to teachers on this issue, many suggested taking more drastic measures, such as shutting down fast food restaurants across the country. I disagree with this, however, because although its important to eat healthy, I believe people can have a balance, and with the right amount of exercise, you should be able to reward yourself with a bit of fast food. If America simply increases the amount of time that children participate in Physical Education, the growing weight problem will disappear sooner than we would have ever imagined.

Electricity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I automatically gave this 5 stars, once I read the first sentence. I 100% agree with you. 

Horsewriterlol This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think it should be an option to have more, not being forced.

MUSICisLIFE1429 said...
i think phys. ed should be taught in schools, but it should be an option for people to have more. i hate gym only because it's a waste of my time. im athletic and id rather have an acedemic class in that spot instead of playing dodgeball every friday!! instead of playing dodgeball and wasting my time with that, i could be getting my geometry homework done, or reading a book. but instead im stuck in a gross gym uniform with bunch of guys that take dodgeball to a whole different l... (more »)

krazykathleen said...
I'm not sure I completely agree with this. I have P.E. every day for 45 minutes, and sometimes I do wish it was longer, plus you're right about some of the activities classes do- they don't use very much energy. I think closing some fast food resteraunts would suffice, but then people lose their jobs so it's tough. I don't agree that eating at fast food resteraunts is OK, per say, because you should try to limit that as much as possible. There are occasions when it's necessary, and I unders... (more »)

baby_girla said...
I think if there is a weight room in the schools it should be open to every one for a certain amount of time like about 3 or 5 hours  a day so that every one can at least loose some weight, and that the weight room should have a bit more weights for people to lift because I am 17 and weigh about 238 or 239 pounds and I hate the weight and I am doing my best to loose it. so that is the point that more people need to be out more than being in a restaurant eating all those oils and fats.  ... (more »)