Posthumans? | Teen Ink

Posthumans?

By Andrew Dick BRONZE, Sewickley, Pennsylvania
Andrew Dick BRONZE, Sewickley, Pennsylvania

I defend Adrian Higgins’ suggestion that “we lose touch with the natural world” because of our technology-based society. Daily, there are millions of adults walking around cities plugged into their cell phones. Virtually no one avoids electronic screens and digital clocks for an entire day because these screens have become a large part of our daily routine and daily life. Watching television, listening to an iPod, making a call or sending a text message all involve using and looking at an electronic screen. According to Higgins’ article, adults spend nearly three hours a day interacting with computer screens. Adding in television viewing makes the grand total about eight and a half hours of viewing electronic screens. Even as specific as looking at a digital clock would be considered to be looking at an electronic screen. These electronic screens have taken over us and our minds. If someone receives a text message, it is very challenging to sever that communication, avoid the electronic screen, and ignore the message.

JunusJunior said...
JunusJunior, Darien, Illinois
    Quaint article. Although I am a staunch advocate of progression and a definite adversary of stagnation, I am compelled, to a certain extent, to agree with your view point. Although technology is the basis of progression, it has also become a great vice of the human. Perhaps it is our inability to handle such powerful creations or perhaps we are given the gadgets at a much too early age. The aforementioned reasons might contribute to your argument. At the moment, however, we cannot do much but avoid the bad habits ourselves. It would be nice if you could expound upon the article.