Same-Sex Marriage | Teen Ink

Same-Sex Marriage

By NicoleH BRONZE, Sloatsburg, New York
NicoleH BRONZE, Sloatsburg, New York

Same-Sex Marriage
“Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?” (Gaines) It doesn’t make sense that we can be comfortable seeing men with guns out to kill but we’re not okay with two harmless men or women in love. Too many people have not realized that gays should be given the same exact rights as everyone else. As long as people are happy and they’re not harming anyone, they should be allowed to marry whomever they choose. If it doesn’t affect someone, they shouldn’t tell them that they can’t do something. Love is a valuable emotion and once one finds it, they can’t be forced to let it go.
“The ability to love and commit to another person is a right that all people have” (Gannon). It cannot be granted or taken away. The freedom of marriage is a basic civil right of all people and should not be only allowed for some. Not too long ago, marriage was considered a contract between two men (Gannon). Many people are only opposing to same-sex marriage because it’s not what they’re used to and it’s considered “abnormal” by some. Others are against it because of religious beliefs that conflict with the teachings of the bible. The seperation between church and state disallows the interference of religious beliefs on government officials’ views.
The state doesn’t have the right to enforce a standard on all individuals, except when it’s harming others. Enabling homosexuals to marry would give them equal rights like everyone else. They are the same as everyone and deserve equality among society. Just because they have different feelings does not make them unworthy of marriage. People’s sexual relations are not the government’s business and they should not interfere. Whom one has a sexual relationship with is private and personal and should be kept that way for all. (Knowland)
Some say same-sex marriage would ruin society. It would promote a dangerous, non-protective performance of sexual behavior and lifestyle. Same-sex marriage would raise the amount of STDs such as HIV and many others. In some public places, it is a policy that gays can not be seen together. “The traditional family- husband, wife, and natural children- is the only way societies have ever found of providing well for stability in the present and for our future” (Wedgwood). Children should be raised around a healthy, customary family in order to prolong a normal lifestyle for themselves. They need to set an example for future generations. Homosexuals are not a bad example for children. It can make them grow and learn to accept everyone and treat them equally.
There is no valid reason to oppose gays and their choices in life. If they make the decision to marry someone of the same gender, that’s their business. Others should have no say in how people live if it doesn’t have anything to do with them. "It feels like you're home. There's an anchor, there's a safety. I'm going to be with her until the day I die and I know that,” said Ellen DeGeneres. People long to be happy and find that person that makes them feel loved. If one happens to find someone of the same sex that makes them feel that way, then what’s so terrible about that? Feelings for other people don’t just go away and no one has the power to destroy them. (nydailynews)

Works Cited:
Gannon, Heather Ann. "Same-Sex Marriage Should Be Allowed." Opposing Viewpoints: Family. Ed. Karen Miller. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2008. Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center. Gale. SUFFERN SR HIGH SCHOOL. 16 Mar. 2010 <http://e-brary.ramapocentral.org:2082/ovrc/infomark.do?&contentSet=GSRC&type=retrieve&tabID=T010&prodId=OVRC&docId=EJ3010136208&source=gale&srcprod=OVRC&userGroupName=suff14876&version=1.0>.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/11/10/2009-11-10_ellen_degeneres_on_oprah_winfrey_show_im_going_to_be_with_portia_de_rossi_until_.html
Knowland, Don. "Allowing Same-Sex Marriage Would Protect Privacy Rights." Opposing Viewpoints: Privacy. Ed. Jamuna Carroll. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2006. Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center. Gale. SUFFERN SR HIGH SCHOOL. 16 Mar. 2010 <http://e-brary.ramapocentral.org:2082/ovrc/infomark.do?&contentSet=GSRC&type=retrieve&tabID=T010&prodId=OVRC&docId=EJ3010434228&source=gale&srcprod=OVRC&userGroupName=suff14876&version=1.0>.

Wedgwood, Ralph. "Society Should Allow Same-Sex Marriage." Opposing Viewpoints: Homosexuality. Ed. Mary E. Williams. San Diego: Greenhaven Press, 1999. Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center. Gale. SUFFERN SR HIGH SCHOOL. 16 Mar. 2010 <http://e-brary.ramapocentral.org:2082/ovrc/infomark.do?&contentSet=GSRC&type=retrieve&tabID=T010&prodId=OVRC&docId=EJ3010143228&source=gale&srcprod=OVRC&userGroupName=suff14876&version=1.0>.

I wrote this essay for my Frehsman Writing Seminar class. I hope that people gain a new perspective on all people and learn to accept people for who they really are.