International Aid; Helping the Less Fortunate, or Themselves? | Teen Ink

International Aid; Helping the Less Fortunate, or Themselves?

March 12, 2010
By Karla Martinez BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Karla Martinez BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Annually, there are thousands of disasters around the world. Money is sent to international aid programs to then send it themselves to disaster victims in an effort to help those in the disaster. The truth is, most of that money won’t reach them at all. Not even half of it (Washington CNN). Not only is the system corrupted, but it is still going on today.
The amount of money that isn’t going to people in tremendous. Donations following the 9/11 attack, The Red Cross collected $564 million dollars. Months after this catastrophic event, the Red Cross distributed $154 million dollars (Gupta). This shows that not only does the majority of the money not go where the donators intended, but this is done by one of the most trusted organizations in the world (CBS News). This is because the Red Cross, including other organizations that provide these services, know that not only can they get away with it, but they can continue doing so without being stopped. As a result, more and more money from generous and selfless people are going towards corrupt and immoral CEOs.
International Aids’ corruption not only affects those who make donations, but those who don’t receive them. Most well-known organizations seem to have the same problem in funneling much of the donation money into their bank accounts, but not all. The Commissioner of the Salvation Army receives a salary of $13,000 a year, while managing a $2 billion dollar organization. By comparison, Brian Gallagher, President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base salary and the Red Cross President Marsha Evans receives $450,000 annually (Gupta). This proves that these well-known organizations say they have the same motives, but that is clearly not the case. Overall, the problem is not the intentions of donating to the disaster relief funds, but to which ones.
To stop donating overall is not the solution, although it may seem that way. Change for these powerful, multibillion dollar organizations is unlikely, so it is our job to make a difference (Wordpress). Americans as well as everyone else around the world should give their donations, as little as they may be, to community foundations, and nonprofit roots based in the affected communities (Pederson).
Organizations like the ones as mentioned above should not be judged by their sophisticated fundraising techniques or how much money they receive. Those are not the factors that express its effective and efficiency to help people. However, this still means that donors should be doing their own homework, asking as many questions that feel like they need answering, and letting the idea, the picture develop a bit before sending in a contribution (Tighe).

Works Cited

"Donations To Red Cross In Haiti | Politicol News." Politics l politics news l politicol new l political party l Wall Street Third Party. WordPress, 15 Jan. 2010. Web. <http://www.politicolnews.com/topics/donations-to-red-cross-in-haiti/>.
"Don't Give Your Tsunami Donations To The Red Cross." Alex Jones' Prison Planet.com. Washington CNN, 3 Jan. 2005. Web. <http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/january2005/030105redcross.htm>.
Gupta, Chris. "Red Cross CEO Pulled Down $651,957 Salary - Bush Strafes New Orleans - Share The Wealth." Communication Agents Initiative - Official Home Page. CAI, 2 Sept. 2005. Web. <http://www.communicationagents.com/chris/2005/09/05/red_cross_ceo_pulled_down_651957_salary_bush_strafes_new_orleans.htm>.
Maer, Peter. "Haiti Disaster Evokes Memories of 1985 Mexico Earthquake." CBS News. CBS, 13 Feb. 2010. Web. <http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/13/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry6091894.shtml>.