Seeing The World Through Rainbows | Teen Ink

Seeing The World Through Rainbows

By flevenson BRONZE, Westport, Connecticut
flevenson BRONZE, Westport, Connecticut

"why not, take a crazy chance"

“Does anyone have any spare change to buy me dinner?”

A timid voice shakes me out of my milkshake-and-grilled-cheese reverie as I head out of Tom’s Diner at 11 p.m.

My hazel eyes settle on a petite African-American girl, clad in a t-shirt and shorts, shivering slightly under a bus station waiting booth.

I clear the image out of my mind. Just like thousands of New Yorkers do, every day.
But the voice still echoes in my ears, the faint cry still audible as I walk further away.
I know I have much more money than this girl does. And I don’t need all of it for myself.
I could definitely spare some to help the poor teenager out, right?

“C’mon, lets go give her something.”

As my friend and I return to the girl, warnings of beggars on the street fill my head, tales of the money being used for drugs and alcohol soon accompanying them. But my conscience stifles the sirens on my brain in one fell swoop.
Having just come from the Broadway production “In the Heights,” I recall the stories of the citizens of Washington Heights, and their lower quality of life.
What if this girl is a hardworking, innocent, kind person who truly cannot afford a bite to eat?
I can’t just ignore her, and walk guiltily away out of a diner, can I?

And she definitely has a worse life than I do.

A wave of relief washes over me as I sift through the contents of my purse, zeroing on my wallet and grabbing a fistful of coins.

Handing over the money, I see, whether in reality or from my mind, gratitude in the teenage girl’s eyes.

Seriously, I’m such a good person. I did a good deed, a mitzvah, a selfless act.
“You’re too nice!” my friend remarks as we walk away.

But then I turn around, and the girl is still standing in the same place, issuing the same plea.
Maybe she doesn’t have enough money for dinner yet?

How much has she raised?
Isn’t two dollars enough for something small at Tom’s?

I hope I wasn’t one of those gullible, kind-hearted people who see the world through rainbows and butterflies, and are ridiculously easy to deceive.
Who knows?
Maybe I really am too nice.

I wrote this piece at a Summer Journalism program, a five day program in the city. My assignment that night was to write a column, and after the rollercoaster of emotions from feeling sorry for the girl, deciding to turn back and giving her some money (while most people choose to walk on), then seeing her resume her post, I questioned my actions. I assume she was hungry, and tired, and now that I reflect on it, maybe it was just determination and resilience that drove her to stay out asking for more money, besides two dollars won't cover that much. I don't know anything about her, I can't just assume. I do know that my emotions at the time drove me to think she wasn't that appreciative of my donation, and I had been gullible, although I'm now positive she was.

on Jan. 25 2010 at 9:22 pm
the_Horsegirl SILVER, Minneapolis, Minnesota

People need dreams, there's as much nourishment in 'em as food.
--Dorothy Gilman

If there is such a thing as truth, it is as intricate and hidden as a crown of feathers.
--Isaac Bashevis Singer

This is a very interesting piece. It very accurately depicts a moral struggle; I like how it shows that nothing is black-and-white. Keep writing!