Teens Should Absolutely Be Tried as Adults When They Commit Adult Crimes

Murderers, rapists, and other criminals are being released from jail everyday after serving only very short and lenient sentences. Who are these criminals and what makes them so special? The criminals are juveniles who commit adult crimes. They are being tried every day in juvenile courts, they are receiving shortened sentences, and they are being released and given new identities to continue to live their lives in peaceful and happy bliss, all while their victims and their families are left to suffer forever. Because the courts and juvenile rights advocates believe that second chances should be given to youths who commit crimes, criminals are walking the streets, living as our neighbors, and in many instances committing additional crimes.

When it comes to trying teens in court as adults. Some say stop trying them as adults and try them as juveniles, others say they must be tried as adults when they commit adult crimes. I believe that teens should be held accountable for their actions and tried as adults. If I knew somebody who hurt or killed someone I loved, I would want him or her to experience the worst possible punishment for his or her actions. Some people say that children learn bad behavior from their parents, things like murder, rap or drug abuse; but I believe that children should learn from their parent’s mistakes. I agree with Jessica Wilde when she say’s “Morals are inherent from birth”(Wilde1). To me this is saying that kids, and even adults, should know the difference between right and wrong. Finally, put yourself in the mother’s position, if your son or daughter just died, how would you want their killer to be punished? How would you feel if you never got to see your child alive again while their killer served only a short sentence before being released from jail?

Now then, some people believe that we should stop putting teens in adult prison; they believe we should be lenient with them and give them easier sentences. These people argue that children are capable of learning from their mistakes and because they are children, they can be rehabilitated. Others say that teens are too young to understand the consequences of there actions, or that they don’t know their limitations with drugs or alcohol. I believe this is a ridiculous argument because teens shouldn’t be drinking or doing drugs in the first place. There are some people, like Hendricks, in his article “Stop Trying 13-Year-olds in Court as Adults”, who believe “They’re abused and come out more dangerous and damaged then when they went in”(Hendricks 2). This is a good argument; however, can’t we say the same thing for adults? Why should juveniles be treated any different than adults when the crimes they are committing are every bit as heinous as adult crimes?

Youths who commit crimes are criminals; they are walking our streets, living as our neighbors, and in many instances committing additional crimes. I strongly agree with Jessica Wilde when she says, “All crimes committed by juveniles should and must be treated in the same regard, it not to punish heinous acts, then to provide justice to the families of victims (Wilde 2). As a child myself, I was raised in a family who believes in punishments, spankings, and repercussions for the actions of the children. Some say morals are learned, others say we inherit morals at birth, either way, a criminal is a criminal and must be punished as such. Should we punish all juveniles as adults? Probably not with lesser crimes, but some crimes are certainly more heinous than others, and those crimes like murder and rape are adult crimes. It really doesn’t matter the age of the criminal, it they are committing crimes that are inherently adult in nature, then yes, these criminals absolutely should be punished as an adult regardless of their age. Our courts, our schools, nor our societies, should ever allow anyone, child or adult, get away with murder.

zer0 said...
Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:52 am:
Some kids need help more than they need punishment.

zer0 said...
Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:47 am:
Interesting article.  Sometimes victims' families forgive the killer.  Paula Cooper was 16 when she was the youngest person sentenced to death in Indiana for killing Ruth Pelke.  However, Pelke's son knew that his mother was kind and forgiving and signed a petition to overturn Cooper's death sentence.  Cooper is now out of jail and is friends with Pelke's son.

HDP?????? said...
Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:42 am:
it could be good to give a second chance but you have to remember that he or she felt so mature to commit the crime

Cliffany said...
Look teens do drink, when adults aren't looking, they can get married. 2 years ago my sister turned the age 17 and she was married and out of the house before I was. And if you read the news its in consideration about the teen voting, they let me vote in school so I don't see why your school won't allow you to vote thats your problem.. And the reason for teens not enlisting in the army is because EDUCATION matters to the army! There is such a thing when you turn of age and your a mal... (more »)

SydneeAnne said...
May 3, 2013 at 4:31 pm:
I Completly Disagree. Whats All this talk about sertain crimes being adult crimes and minnor crimes? a crime is a crime, and theres restrictions on ages for reasons,  if a child should be tried as an adult for a big crime then why dont adults get to be tried as kids for small crimes? Theres  no nsuch thing as an adult crime anyone could commit any crime, but children arint in the right state of mind and there brains arint fully developed, its unfair. and once a kid comes outta adult ja... (more »)

etoya replied...
Sept. 10, 2013 at 2:14 pm :
i disagree with u what if it was your famity that got killed by a kid u just gone let it go i dnt think so

kenny replied...
Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:16 am :
first of all, if youre trying to make an argument then proper grammar will usually help get your point across. Second of all, if youre going to play the "put yourself in someone elses shoes" game then play it right. dont only put yourself in the shoes of the victim or the victims families, but also put yourself in the shoes of a young man or woman who commited such a crime. things arent always under minors controll. minds are still emotionally unstable in certain individuals and it isn... (more »)

Rella replied...
Mar. 17 at 3:16 pm :
I like you, Kenny, just because of your first sentence.

Law-wen replied...
Apr. 8 at 5:43 pm :
Kenny, I agree alot with what you're saying, but I have a question about somthing you said. You said "If the kid never does it again then thats great!" So what if "the kid" commited murder? How do we find out whether they'll do it again? Put them in rehab for 5 or ten years then let them out hoping maybe they won't shoot anyone? I am for circumstance. I beleive some kids should get another chance, but alot of the time these kids are too far gone. I think we need t... (more »)

cookie123 said...
love your article about teens being tried as adult when committing violent crime. 

KaytlynKay said...
Some people, like this article states, think that giving a second chance to minors helps them to not make the same mistakes. How many second chances should be given to these minors who have committed horrible crimes that are equal to crimes an adult can commit.

Joe Mama replied...
Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:40 pm :
It's impossible to give more than one second chance. 

Your kidding right? replied...
May 2, 2013 at 11:11 am :
Second chance is just a phrase for a do over, you can give as many as you want.

JaneBrooke901 said...
Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:59 am:
First, I'd like to say that while teens may know right from wrong, the specific area of their brain that is under-developed includes that for DECSION making and implulse control. Also: for really awful crimes WE ALREAD TRY JUVENILES AS ADULTS. The question is, should it be automatic for violent offenses, or whatever.    Also, Juvenile's are still being punished; however, due to their age and their CONSTITUTIONALLY RECONIZED DIFFERENCES from adults, and they are easier to re... (more »)

aiman4 replied...
Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:21 am :
how does an 18-10 year old differ their emotions from highschoolers?i mean they are still basically have the same thinking,you might will prove i'm wrong,but treating an 18-19 year old as an adult is no different than punish highschoolers

Bryce W. said...
Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:02 pm:
i  agree i mean if commited pedy crimes like attempt to assult and trospasing and you now the funny thing is i found out that all this was because of the one person i was hanging out with all he wanted was for me to go to jail so part of that is the people we hang out with  

etoya replied...
Sept. 10, 2013 at 2:18 pm :
thank u i agree with 100% i wish other was thinking like u poeple on here are so worng and need hlep    

emmm999 said...
there are kids serving life without parole and adults get less sentence than they do! over 51% of children are in adult prisons!  

george021094 said...
May 31, 2012 at 2:03 pm:
I agree, reason why is because they are teenagers ! not kidss ! teenagers ages 14-18, true their minds are not fully developed yet but their minds are for sure developed to know wrong from right by now. They should be tried as adults for a crim they commited. how would you feel if a teenager killed some you you love ? of course you would want the worst for them. Once he gets out your still have the pain the your love one is death and the one who killed him/her is free. think about it

Amiyah replied...
Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:30 am :
I think u right