Teens Should Absolutely Be Tried as Adults When They Commit Adult Crimes

Murderers, rapists, and other criminals are being released from jail everyday after serving only very short and lenient sentences. Who are these criminals and what makes them so special? The criminals are juveniles who commit adult crimes. They are being tried every day in juvenile courts, they are receiving shortened sentences, and they are being released and given new identities to continue to live their lives in peaceful and happy bliss, all while their victims and their families are left to suffer forever. Because the courts and juvenile rights advocates believe that second chances should be given to youths who commit crimes, criminals are walking the streets, living as our neighbors, and in many instances committing additional crimes.

When it comes to trying teens in court as adults. Some say stop trying them as adults and try them as juveniles, others say they must be tried as adults when they commit adult crimes. I believe that teens should be held accountable for their actions and tried as adults. If I knew somebody who hurt or killed someone I loved, I would want him or her to experience the worst possible punishment for his or her actions. Some people say that children learn bad behavior from their parents, things like murder, rap or drug abuse; but I believe that children should learn from their parent’s mistakes. I agree with Jessica Wilde when she say’s “Morals are inherent from birth”(Wilde1). To me this is saying that kids, and even adults, should know the difference between right and wrong. Finally, put yourself in the mother’s position, if your son or daughter just died, how would you want their killer to be punished? How would you feel if you never got to see your child alive again while their killer served only a short sentence before being released from jail?

Now then, some people believe that we should stop putting teens in adult prison; they believe we should be lenient with them and give them easier sentences. These people argue that children are capable of learning from their mistakes and because they are children, they can be rehabilitated. Others say that teens are too young to understand the consequences of there actions, or that they don’t know their limitations with drugs or alcohol. I believe this is a ridiculous argument because teens shouldn’t be drinking or doing drugs in the first place. There are some people, like Hendricks, in his article “Stop Trying 13-Year-olds in Court as Adults”, who believe “They’re abused and come out more dangerous and damaged then when they went in”(Hendricks 2). This is a good argument; however, can’t we say the same thing for adults? Why should juveniles be treated any different than adults when the crimes they are committing are every bit as heinous as adult crimes?

Youths who commit crimes are criminals; they are walking our streets, living as our neighbors, and in many instances committing additional crimes. I strongly agree with Jessica Wilde when she says, “All crimes committed by juveniles should and must be treated in the same regard, it not to punish heinous acts, then to provide justice to the families of victims (Wilde 2). As a child myself, I was raised in a family who believes in punishments, spankings, and repercussions for the actions of the children. Some say morals are learned, others say we inherit morals at birth, either way, a criminal is a criminal and must be punished as such. Should we punish all juveniles as adults? Probably not with lesser crimes, but some crimes are certainly more heinous than others, and those crimes like murder and rape are adult crimes. It really doesn’t matter the age of the criminal, it they are committing crimes that are inherently adult in nature, then yes, these criminals absolutely should be punished as an adult regardless of their age. Our courts, our schools, nor our societies, should ever allow anyone, child or adult, get away with murder.

a person said...
I'm sorry if I am offending anybody, but I disagree with this article. being a kid myself, I have to wonder. Why can't we drink, or smoke, or sign legal documents like adults can? We are treated the same in court! Because We don't have the reasoning skills, or concrete Idea of consequence that adults do. We mostly act on impulse when we do bad things. That doesn't excuse us from whatever we did, I agree that every crime should be reacted to, but rehabilitation is also an option. ... (more »)

yass boo said...
Nov. 26, 2014 at 11:49 am
i think teens should be charge as adult when they do adult crimes so they can learn the 1st time.  

The Grammar Police said...
Paragraph 2, yea i hate it when juvinile offenders rap my loved ones... eminem is that you?!?

illusion? replied...
Nov. 7, 2014 at 10:24 am
Ya it does kinda suck when someone raps my love ones. Yeesh i went to this article to find good things for my aff case, but all i got was personal opinions. XD

Melissa replied...
It's pronounced "Rape".

Ravi replied...
illusion?, please check the top of the page. Home > OPINION > Social Issues / Civics   It is indeed an opinion and was posted accordingly.

tinie said...
i disagree with you as a child and i am going to use personal experience  i was taut right from wrong from the start doing wrong would mean i would get hit for my actions thats how i learned from right and wrong by the consequences i recieved  so why is it hard for a child to understand that murder or rape is wrong  what does it take for them not to be a child no more them killing more than 3 people is that when cause then it will be to late and why is it that for some things we w... (more »)

Melissa replied...
It's pronounced "Taught".

Is an idiot replied...
Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:06 am
That's not the point.

your mom said...
hey I am a sophmore at a school that shall not be named. I read your article and say that it has its flaws. I dont think children get influenced by parent's "rap" and I feel that putting your own opinion makes it look less professional. Stay away from using "I". One last thing, I feel that you jumped too early when paraphrasing Jessica Wilde. You should probably get some background information before posting an article like this.

Your Dad replied...
Oct. 22, 2014 at 11:41 am
Maybe you should also stay away from using "I" a lot. Don't you think?

your dad is just mad replied...
Nov. 17, 2014 at 9:26 am
It's true, you should always regrain some using "I" when tryng to persuade. "your dad" here is just trying to be whitty and miserably failed. Why can't "your mom" use "I" in his own comment? This isnt a formal form of communication lol. 

DjakobUnchainedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 15, 2014 at 11:25 am
Teen brains are underdeveloped. You deserve a second chance because you're not the same person when you're 25 that you were when you were 15. Older guy wouldnt have done it.

abcd replied...
you're delusional if you are saying an older man won't rape

DjakobUnchainedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 15 at 11:10 am
Im saying that the 25 year old who got the treatment he needed at 15 would not rape again and no that isn't a delusional thought.

2443 replied...
Mar. 11 at 3:55 pm
teen brains are underdeveloped but the actual science according to experts such as Professor Stephen Morse, and others state that teens underdeveloped brains do not negate criminal culpability.

Messmir replied...
Mar. 11 at 7:35 pm
Older people do it regularly.

Messmir replied...
Mar. 11 at 7:35 pm
Older people do it regularly.

Messmir replied...
Mar. 11 at 7:35 pm
Older people do it regularly. They'll just repeat and specialize in their crimes

Messmir replied...
Mar. 11 at 7:36 pm