Teens Should Absolutely Be Tried as Adults When They Commit Adult Crimes

Murderers, rapists, and other criminals are being released from jail everyday after serving only very short and lenient sentences. Who are these criminals and what makes them so special? The criminals are juveniles who commit adult crimes. They are being tried every day in juvenile courts, they are receiving shortened sentences, and they are being released and given new identities to continue to live their lives in peaceful and happy bliss, all while their victims and their families are left to suffer forever. Because the courts and juvenile rights advocates believe that second chances should be given to youths who commit crimes, criminals are walking the streets, living as our neighbors, and in many instances committing additional crimes.

When it comes to trying teens in court as adults. Some say stop trying them as adults and try them as juveniles, others say they must be tried as adults when they commit adult crimes. I believe that teens should be held accountable for their actions and tried as adults. If I knew somebody who hurt or killed someone I loved, I would want him or her to experience the worst possible punishment for his or her actions. Some people say that children learn bad behavior from their parents, things like murder, rap or drug abuse; but I believe that children should learn from their parent’s mistakes. I agree with Jessica Wilde when she say’s “Morals are inherent from birth”(Wilde1). To me this is saying that kids, and even adults, should know the difference between right and wrong. Finally, put yourself in the mother’s position, if your son or daughter just died, how would you want their killer to be punished? How would you feel if you never got to see your child alive again while their killer served only a short sentence before being released from jail?

Now then, some people believe that we should stop putting teens in adult prison; they believe we should be lenient with them and give them easier sentences. These people argue that children are capable of learning from their mistakes and because they are children, they can be rehabilitated. Others say that teens are too young to understand the consequences of there actions, or that they don’t know their limitations with drugs or alcohol. I believe this is a ridiculous argument because teens shouldn’t be drinking or doing drugs in the first place. There are some people, like Hendricks, in his article “Stop Trying 13-Year-olds in Court as Adults”, who believe “They’re abused and come out more dangerous and damaged then when they went in”(Hendricks 2). This is a good argument; however, can’t we say the same thing for adults? Why should juveniles be treated any different than adults when the crimes they are committing are every bit as heinous as adult crimes?

Youths who commit crimes are criminals; they are walking our streets, living as our neighbors, and in many instances committing additional crimes. I strongly agree with Jessica Wilde when she says, “All crimes committed by juveniles should and must be treated in the same regard, it not to punish heinous acts, then to provide justice to the families of victims (Wilde 2). As a child myself, I was raised in a family who believes in punishments, spankings, and repercussions for the actions of the children. Some say morals are learned, others say we inherit morals at birth, either way, a criminal is a criminal and must be punished as such. Should we punish all juveniles as adults? Probably not with lesser crimes, but some crimes are certainly more heinous than others, and those crimes like murder and rape are adult crimes. It really doesn’t matter the age of the criminal, it they are committing crimes that are inherently adult in nature, then yes, these criminals absolutely should be punished as an adult regardless of their age. Our courts, our schools, nor our societies, should ever allow anyone, child or adult, get away with murder.

The Grammar Police said...
Nov. 4 at 5:15 pm:
Paragraph 2, yea i hate it when juvinile offenders rap my loved ones... eminem is that you?!?

illusion? replied...
Nov. 7 at 10:24 am :
Ya it does kinda suck when someone raps my love ones. Yeesh i went to this article to find good things for my aff case, but all i got was personal opinions. XD

Melissa replied...
Nov. 12 at 12:47 pm :
It's pronounced "Rape".

Ravi replied...
yesterday at 2:08 pm :
illusion?, please check the top of the page. Home > OPINION > Social Issues / Civics   It is indeed an opinion and was posted accordingly.

tinie said...
Oct. 16 at 12:31 pm:
i disagree with you as a child and i am going to use personal experience  i was taut right from wrong from the start doing wrong would mean i would get hit for my actions thats how i learned from right and wrong by the consequences i recieved  so why is it hard for a child to understand that murder or rape is wrong  what does it take for them not to be a child no more them killing more than 3 people is that when cause then it will be to late and why is it that for some things we w... (more »)

Melissa replied...
Nov. 12 at 12:47 pm :
It's pronounced "Taught".

your mom said...
Oct. 14 at 3:10 pm:
hey I am a sophmore at a school that shall not be named. I read your article and say that it has its flaws. I dont think children get influenced by parent's "rap" and I feel that putting your own opinion makes it look less professional. Stay away from using "I". One last thing, I feel that you jumped too early when paraphrasing Jessica Wilde. You should probably get some background information before posting an article like this.

Your Dad replied...
Oct. 22 at 11:41 am :
Maybe you should also stay away from using "I" a lot. Don't you think?

your dad is just mad replied...
Nov. 17 at 9:26 am :
It's true, you should always regrain some using "I" when tryng to persuade. "your dad" here is just trying to be whitty and miserably failed. Why can't "your mom" use "I" in his own comment? This isnt a formal form of communication lol. 

DjakobUnchainedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 15 at 11:25 am:
Teen brains are underdeveloped. You deserve a second chance because you're not the same person when you're 25 that you were when you were 15. Older guy wouldnt have done it.

abcd replied...
Nov. 6 at 8:19 pm :
you're delusional if you are saying an older man won't rape

ad#2 said...
Aug. 7 at 1:14 pm:
You commit any heinous crime and get away under the pretext of being a 'Juvenile".? Is our society so ignorant of the fact that a CRIME is a CRIME.. When you have the brain enough to commit adult crimes then I don't really think you remain a juvenile. Not trying them would only give them a power to devalue a person's integrity. The people who are in their support are morons. What will they do if these very juveniles offend their near and dear ones.. Would they still stand up &nb... (more »)

MollyM15 said...
Aug. 1 at 3:51 pm:
Children are children. Some children commit crimes accidentally or out of need. Some have commited heinous crimes, but maybe they were never taught better. Maybe in a Juvenile Detention Center they will learn right from wrong. In prison these children will be raped, and tormented in every which way. They will grow up to become even greater dangers to society than when they entered prison. They might even commit crimes on a larger scale than ever before, because our society didn't give them t... (more »)

The free soul sufer replied...
Oct. 10 at 11:44 am :
but what if someone killed your loved one and severed a short amount of time for it you would have to live with and they would just move on

kay k said...
Jul. 31 at 6:56 am:
crimes are crimes no matter what. it doesnt make difference if you are a kid. first of all you cannot be considered young when you commit violent crimes. physically may be you are, but morally, ethically you have brains only of a adult criminal. else you wont even commit a crime. so why second chance ?

beingrealistic said...
Jun. 3 at 10:35 am:
Children sent to adult prisons have a higher rate of recividism than those sent to juvenile prisons. By treating a child, who is NOT an adult, because s/he is a CHILD therefore NOT an ADULT, as an adult, you are simply creating more criminals. A child who commits murder out of impulse and desperation who receives the necessary attention and treatment will most likely grow up a standing member of society. A child who commits murder and is thrown into a box with a bunch of other angry old hardened... (more »)

AYC4 said...
May 30 at 11:46 am:
100% disagree.  You are either an adult or not.  There is no middle ground.  If someone is tried as adult, they should enjoy the priviliges of being an adult.  It's not an ala carte package. Do you know what is juvenile?  Becoming so frustrated and allowing emotion to take over that you disregard a firmly drawn boundry regarding age simply because you want to see "your way" come to pass.  An adult understands that there are limits.  The +/- of 1... (more »)

locoforchoco01 said...
May 19 at 7:58 pm:
where's the evidence?????????????????????

Mama Bear Langdon said...
May 15 at 7:14 am:
Being the stepmother of a (at the time) 13 year old who sexually abused my 7 year old son from a previous marriage, a student he attended school with and his 2 year old half brother from his mom's second marriage, I just have to ask...at what age does everyone consider a child/adolescent responsible for their crimes against other children? Does the fact that he sexually offended against at least 3 known victims not justify that others have the right to know of the offenses and have the right to ... (more »)

JTown95 said...
May 5 at 8:00 pm:
Perfect statement!