To Take "Love" Off Her Arms | Teen Ink

To Take "Love" Off Her Arms

December 13, 2009
By Anonymous

"To Write Love on Her Arms" day is one of the most accentuated holidays of our time. It's; for lack of a better word, meaninglesness, is an excuse for some wannabe "rebel" girls to go around supporting a cause to further show their "bad-a**" side. As a former cutter/ self-injury junkie, I must admit, I do not promote this organization. It is becoming so hallmark, that it is scaring the girls who need the help away. Do we need to advertise with tee-shirts? National holidays where frizzy haired tweens have their friends scrawl "love" all down their arms? We don't. It needs to be a softer topic. These girls promoting it do not know what it is like to feel the way you feel. They can never understand the emotions you went through. The tears you cried; countless band-aids and cover stories you concocted to further explain what happened. They see it as a day to show that cute boy across the room that they are involved in current issues. Most of these "benefactors" do not even know of a person who went through it. They don't understand how it feels to stand by the side of your friend, knowing last night, she well could have cut too deep and bled too much. They don't know that fear, and until they do, they should not have the right to go parading around, speaking of how terrible it is to hurt yourself. When I get these notifications on facebook, reminding me that "Monday is 'To Write Love on Her Arms' day! Don't forget!", I cringe. Walking into school with smiling faces, black ink soaked into their arms, reading "love", and tee-shirts they bought online, showing that "they care". But do they?Did they care enough to ever notice what I had done? Or any one of the many of us? No. Don't support what you don't know. I don't know anyone with an eating disorder, so I don't go around preaching to the "play ground" about it's dangers. Stick to what applies to you, and we will all be better off.


The author's comments:
Feel free to disagree with me here. I was feeling fed up with how Hallmark they made this. Shirts and and whole day dedicated to it? I'd rather celebrate National Potato Day.