Television: Is it a Problem? | Teen Ink

Television: Is it a Problem?

November 24, 2009
By lauratpfr SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
lauratpfr SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The average child watches 1,680 minutes of television a week. This is causing problems amongst our youth such as, laziness, weight -both high and low, and an overexposure to violence.

Six million videos are rented daily, while public library items only reach half that amount. People’s priorities are garbled. Americans are watching more movies and television than they are reading books. Kids spend most of their time playing video games, watching television, and doing other fruitless activities. Parents have to coerce their children to get off the couch and go outside. Kids need to get active, or at least open a book.

Weight is another issue- to both extremes. People are becoming lazy and becoming fat. They wonder why they are fat, but they spend so much time watching, it shouldn’t be a surprise. On the other hand, women are too concerned with their body image. They think they are fat, but in reality, they are not. Women and young girls see models and actresses on television and think that they should like that and be thin. It is good to be thin, but most of those models and actresses are too skinny and should eat a cheeseburger. This is causing an increase in the number of women with eating disorders, which is a poignant psychological issue. If people stay active and eat right, weight should not be an issue.
The average kid is inundated with 200,000 violent acts on television by the time they are 18. This is making children and adults feel phlegmatic to violence. A murder doesn’t have the same effect on children as it would have 20 years ago. Television itself is not a problem. However, the way people’s live revolve around it is.