Is Television Ruining America? | Teen Ink

Is Television Ruining America?

By afilman PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
afilman PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

How many hours’ children and adults spend watching TV is a major controversy in the United States. The fruitless time spent watching TV is thought to affect, family life and how children think of violence, among other things. Some also believe that watching to much TV also makes you have a phlegmatic out put on life.
Most Children like watching TV after schools for a break or on weekends. On average children will see 8,000 murders on TV before finishing elementary school. By the time children turn 18 they will see 200,000 violent acts. This may garble children’s perception; violent acts are not okay, and by seeing them so often on TV. it makes them more okay. Some children get poignant feelings from seeing theses acts on TV while other children become less affected by them. 79 % of Americans believe violence on TV coerces violent acts in daily life. Children who watch a lot of violet TV and also act out in daily life corroborate these theories.
Parents are inundate with results about how much TV children are watching vs. how much time parents spend talking with their children. Parents spend on average 3.5 minutes a week having meaningful discussion with their children. This is while kids on average are watching 1,680 minutes of TV per week. Parents are zealous over theses shocking numbers. Unfortunately parents are not comprehensive to the fact they are a big part of the problem. 99% of house holds own at least one TV, while on average U.S. house holds own 2.24, and 66% of households have 3 or more. The TV in average is on in a home 6 house and 47 minutes, and 66% of Americans say they have the TV on during dinner. Once a person has turned 65 they will have seen about 2 million 30-second TV commercials. These averages are not healthy and will not give you a healthy sanguine complexion.
In the U.S 59% of people can name The Three Stooges while only 17% can name at least three justices on the Supreme Court. Theses averages need to be changed, families need to turn off the TV during dinner and spend time getting to know each other. If children spent half the amount of time watching TV as they do now who knows how much our country could improve.