Television | Teen Ink

Television

By NoellePerry SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
NoellePerry SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

Abandoned playgrounds and deflated soccer balls have researchers around the nation on the edge of their seats. They’re worried about the health of our children, and how much television time is truly enough. Although there are around 4,000 studies regarding children and their TV time, parents still don’t seem to take charge and do something about it. These studies corroborate that the amount of TV watched in U.S. homes is rising each passing day.

From fruitless reality shows, to violent battles, to sanguine children’s programs, TV has it all. It is a proven fact that children see around 8,000 murders on TV before they leave elementary school. It is also said that children spend 400 hours less in school than they do watching TV. Why are parents allowing this? Are they coerced by modern times? Most studies say yes. About 99% of households have at least one television. In 66% of homes across the nation, the garbled sound of three or more TV sets can be heard. It has even been proven that 54% of 4-6 year olds would rather watch TV then spend time with their own fathers. These numbers are poignant and only getting stronger.

Television has become an avid part of many citizens’ lives. 250,000,000,000 is the average amount of hours TV is watched annually by Americans. Is this too much? Some say it is, and some disagree. Those who are zealous on the subject inundate Americans with studies they hope are comprehensive enough. Others are phlegmatic and don’t plan on changing any habits, regardless of research. When forming an opinion, one must keep in mind that 17% of Americans can name at least three Supreme Court Justices, while 59% can name the three stooges. Time for a change, America?