The Reality of Luck | Teen Ink

The Reality of Luck

By ManuelMansilla BRONZE, McAllen, Texas
ManuelMansilla BRONZE, McAllen, Texas

Before any discussion, the first thing that should be done is define the key terms related to the topic the discussion will be about, this way, useless arguing caused by different interpretations of the meaning of a word may be avoided. Having stated this, let us define the meaning of the word luck. Luck, according to the Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, means: the force that causes things, especially good things, to happen to you by chance, and not as a result of your own efforts and abilities1. To really understand this definition we must define the word chance. Chance, as defined by the dictionary previously mentioned, means: an occasion which allows something to be done; an opportunity2. Basically, luck is the force that causes good things to happen to you by opportunity, and not as a result of your own efforts and abilities. Let us think about this for a moment. Does this mean that we believe in a mysterious force without apparent source that has a positive influence in our lives? If we really get to think about this, we can realize that believing in luck makes people become mediocre. If people think they need not work to grow in any aspect of their lives and just wait for a mysterious force to do all the work for them, mediocre is the only thing they will become. Once, Louis Pasteur said, or it is said he said, «Chance favors only the prepared mind». This phrase shows the reality of “luck”: one must prepare himself, his mind, for “luck” to favor him. In other words, one must work for his own benefit. There is no such thing as a mysterious force of which we can gain benefit. The only force that we can benefit from is our effort to grow as people.