True Friend | Teen Ink

True Friend

By Rondachel102 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Rondachel102 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

What is a true friend? Is stress and anger what you should feel around a true friend? Or should you feel relief, happiness - everything good - instead of bad? How many of your friends make you happy? Many people would say that this is an easy question but sometimes it’s not.
I have many people that I call friends, but the real question is, would they be there if needed them to. Most of these people I call friend are my friend but some aren't. Some make me happy and others stress me out. Sometimes I walk into a room and ask myself what will they say to make me laugh today; others I ask myself what will I have to say to satisfy them today. That's not how anyone should feel when they see someone. I had to learn this the hard way. Now that I have gone through this I have better friends. I make better choices on who is going to be my good friend versus just someone I talk to. Friends aren't people that you hang out with on the weekend to be cooler. Friends are people that make you laugh and can comfort you when you're down. I know people are always telling us this all the time but they are right. It just takes one more time or another person for you to get it in your head. You can figure this out the easy way or the hard way.
It's always hard losing a friend even if they treat you horrible. There are always many good things in someone; sometimes they just don't show it. When they don't show it that's when it gets hard because you want to help them but you really shouldn't be treated in a bad way too. Making the right decision can hurt more than one person - so can a bad one. But with my situation I had tried to help this person for six years. Just last year we split apart due to one of her bad decisions along with many more from the past. I couldn't take it anymore. I know there are a lot of other people with worse situations but any hurtful friendship is not a good situation. I don't know what to say to all the other people out there that have the same situation as me, except that if you really are getting treated badly, don't stay friends. We are all better than that and don't deserve that kind of disrespect.
How do you just get out of a friendship without being really mean? Others might say well they were mean to you, you be mean to them. That’s not the way it is; you should not sink to their level. You could confront the situation, slowly stop hanging out, grow a part or make new friends that treat you like you are supposed to be treated. The mean person will have to learn on their own. You can't change them they have to do it themselves. That's too bad they have to hurt others to get satisfaction for themselves. You can only do so much. You are better. Do what's best for you.

dancerforlifex GOLD, Monson, Massachusetts

The meaning of life is to give life a meaning.

Good job! Grammar needs a LITTLE bit of work (just a little though!) and it will be perfect. I'm sure everyone has been through the things you described. Great job!