Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones | Teen Ink

Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones

October 16, 2009
By NicoleP BRONZE, Benton, Arkansas
NicoleP BRONZE, Benton, Arkansas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the beginning of ninth grade she was a good friend. Or so I thought. We always walked down the hall to Mrs. Robertson’s class. We talked about what ever came to mind. It was never anything bad, just how we felt about what happened in math that day. It was always a carefree friendship. But I never knew she was so vicious.

“ Oh My God. You are so stupid!” She said, like she always did.

“I’m sorry.” What else could I say?

“You’re so fake,” she just loved to belittle me.

“I’m sorry.” It’s all that would come out.

“You are so untrustworthy. You will never have real friends.” How could she say that? I was always there for her. I kept her secrets. How can just one ‘friend’ cut me down to my heart?

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. What a load of bulls***. Words hurt. They cut you like a knife, only in your heart. Verbal bullying hurts just as bad as physical bullying. Sure you don’t get hit, but you are left with a scar that last just as long, if not longer.

You’re stupid. You’re ugly. You’re gay. Why do we say these things? Is it to make us feel better, while another kid feels bad? Just one comment about someone can be forever seared into someone’s memory. Those comments will stick in their heads. I’m ugly?

Do we even thing of the consequences of our actions? I know my friend didn’t. She still doesn’t care if those words hurt, just like most bullies. Things need to be changed. People need to be more proactive about things. Don’t just let kids get picked on. Help them.