Our Friends Are Our Mirrors | Teen Ink

Our Friends Are Our Mirrors

By ledbetter BRONZE, Ruston, Louisiana
ledbetter BRONZE, Ruston, Louisiana

Our entire life, a lifetime of experiences, is reflected in the decisions we make today and everyday. How do I determine what is right and wrong? The same way the rest of the world makes that differentiation.
We choose what is right and wrong with the use of our individual, previously established, set of morals. Those morals, whether established through religious background or not, ultimately contribute to the resolve of our decision. Our morals define our individuality, but if a person can change, does that also mean our morals can change?
The question should not be, “Can one’s morals change?” but how often. In my opinion, our morals are in a continuous state of change. The main factor that contributes to this continuous state is the people with whom we surround ourselves: our family and our friends. Their actions, and decisions, influence our own. Moreover, pieces of their morals are absorbed into ours and ours into theirs, like a mirror facing a mirror. One’s morals can undergo change without the presents of friends and family and this seemingly mirror effect, but those are the catalysts for moral change.
Despite the fact that we all use our ever-changing morals to differentiate between what is right and wrong, the result, what we decide, is all a matter of opinion. Everybody’s morals differ from one another and everybody’s opinions differ from one another. Thus, the existence of opinions is, in all its prestige, relevant through the difference of our morals. Opinions, and our individual known polarity of right and wrong, would not exist without our different morals.
If everyone had the same morals, then everyone would have the same opinions. Our rights would all be right and our wrongs would all be wrong. The difference between right and wrong would be a known factor of our existence. However, if everyone really had the same opinion, would opinions even exist?
We may determine what is right and wrong in the same manner but the results of our dissensions can only be expressed by our uniquely different morals.
Therefore, due to the existence of the individuality of our morals, one can use their morals and, ultimately, in their opinion, determine and express whether the contents of this essay are correct or incorrect, right or wrong.

ledbetter BRONZE, Ruston, Louisiana
hmmmmmmmmm