F@ur Le!!er W@rd$

Four letter words. You cannot escape them. No matter where you turn your head, no matter how many times you try to plug your ears or shield your mind... they are always there. Today, there isn't one movie that comes to mind that doesn't include some sort of profanity. Public school is even worse. Students let out the f-word like there's no tomorrow. All it reallys shows me is how small of a vocabulary they have.

Now, I'm not saying that swearing is completely easy not to use. We're all imperfect human beings... God's the only One who is and ever will be perfect. But knowing that, does that suddenly give us permission to go off and sin? Oh... I'm not and won't ever be perfect. I know I'm going to sin sometime, so why not let out one more f-word? What's the harm? It's thoughts like these that I think run through many people's heads nowadays.

Then again, I'm not a mind reader. I don't really know how anyone's thought process works. But I hear enough swearing every single day, to know that it has just become accepted in our society today. People look at an s-word or an a-word as nothing more than how we look at the words, "crap" or "butt." Even the ones at my school who say that they are Christians, and who say that they love God, go off and let off a string of curses seconds after.

Am I saying that you're not a Christian if you swear? No, of course not. God will forgive you and wrap you in his grace no matter how hard you fail. Am I saying that it displeases God whenever someone lets out a cuss word? Yes, basically. And what's really sad, is that many swear words didn't really start out that way. I could call the little female dog down the street a b****, and technically, it isn't swearing. So how has society taken another word for a female dog, and changed it into some sort of an insult?

And since when is an a** used as slang for the butt? Isn't an a** a donkey? And why has it suddenly become so popular to insult people by calling them a donkey? It's saddens me to think what swearing has become today. Not that I'm perfect. I can't say that I've never sworn before in my life, because that would be a lie. But why do people feel a need to incorporate swearing into every conversation? Most of the time it isn't even used as an insul. Nearly every conversation I hear at school, between friends even, is filled with all sorts of s-words and d-words and h-words.

Now... does the Bible ever clearly say not to swear? It's hard to say. In fact, I don't even know if swear words existed back then. But take this verse from Psalms: His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity. So maybe swear words did exist back then. Who knew if they were the exact words as we used today... but there definitely was such a thing as cursing. And whoever is full of cursing, is also full of mischief and vanity.

What I'm trying to get at here... is that I don't see the need for swearing. Yes, sometimes it may be nice to have a nice, strong word that you can scream out to vent out your anger. But does it really make you feel better to scream out a dirty, filthy word? Take it from Psalm 39:1: “I will guard my ways to keep from sinning with my tongue. I will set a muzzle as a guard to my own mouth, as long as anyone wicked is in front of me.”

I think what these passages are trying to get at... is that there is a way to stop swearing. To simply set a muzzle as a guard to your own mouth... in other words, to guard your mouth from filthy four letter words. It may be hard for some. It's been fairly easy for me, as I chose not to start swearing in the first place. But it is possible... with God's help, that is.

One of the leaders at a camp I attend, once told me a story of what happened when she was in public high school. Apparently, it was known at the school that she was a Christian. But, one day, she dropped her books in the hallway and she let out a string of profanities. Several girls walking nearby her said, "Is that really Leslie? I thought she was a Christian." Leslie was not her actual name, but that is not important.

The point is... it's hard to shine as a light in this dark world by cussing. We're never going to lead anyone to Christ by calling them the b-word or the a-word. We can start by guarding our mouths and our tongues from profanity. It will probably make you stand out at school... but in a good way. I know maybe three people in my school of 2,400 who don't swear. But people will look at you and wonder what makes you so different. One of my friends (who also swears) once even called me a "man of morals" because I chose not to swear.

It definitely will be a challenge for some... but I dare you. I dare you to go a week without swearing, if you are one who tends to do it a lot. E-mail me with what happened. See if anything changes. See if anyone wonders what's up with you. See if it leads you any closer to leading someone else to Christ.

I dare you.

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." --Ephesians 4:29

Emily555 said...
I must say that I think swearing when you are angry just makes you sound stupid and more agitated.  Doesn't help anything, people....

SkyDeer said...
Totally agree! Great Article!

ZombieDanceWithMe said...

first of all, don't tell me to e-mail you and then give me no e-mail address. Second, yes it does feel better to scream F***!!! out into the world instead of WHAT THE MESS?!!! Third, I do not believe in god so I think this whole article lacked support. I mean, I'm not going to scream out certain words, but saying something like F*** or as.s I don't mind saying, and neither do others around me. I clean up the mouth in font of grandma, my aunts and uncles, and most of my teachers. But really, I... (more »)

Olive_Eyes replied...
Jan. 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm :

Agreed, I only cuss because the words are satisfying, the way they feel in my mouth.

And they're only "bad" because people get upset when you say them...if everyone would just chill then they would just be words...

Bethani said...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:48 pm:
Cussing has no respect for others or yourself. It puts people down who are religious. It shows the kind of attitude you carry. Think before you speak. 

Bethani said...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:47 pm:
I completely agree! I'm a Christian too however, besides cussing being about spirituality it also has to do with respect. Cussing shows you have no respect for others, or even yourself. Cussing also hurts people's respect who are religious because you tell them to "go to h*ll". Think before you speak! Learn to expand your vocabulary.

saimne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 8, 2010 at 5:33 pm:
i have a nice counter argument in my article titled "****!" if you would like to read (and comment on) it.

May 8, 2010 at 11:12 am:
i understand where you're coming from - being a Christian. but i have an argument against you, which can be found in my article called "****!" please comment!!!

abbey92 said...
Mar. 25, 2010 at 9:53 am:
you did a god job wrighting this,but where i go to school and live, you are respected the more the more you say f**k you and suck my d**k. The less you get pussed around depends on how loud you will creem f**k you to the bullies.
but it is written very well and i just wanted you to know a little of the other side.

TheProphet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 12:22 pm:
I agree, your article is well written, but it is completely irrelevant to me as I'm not religious. Maybe certain words are particularly unsavory, but if they're a part of my vocabulary I've got no problem with it. I'm more worried about what people are thinking rather than what they're saying. People say lots of things.

ambreviews said...
Although the words aren't actually bad words, society sees them as bad, and when you say them, people will see them as "swear words" and not just normal words. As a Christian, it's my job to shine God's light through the darkness, and I can help do this by not promoting or saying profanities which ARE looked at as bad words by society's standards, which consists of everyone I'm trying to reach as a Christian.

dragonbiscuits This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Although your article is really well written, it will not appeal to non-christians at all, and also, they are just words. It is different when using them to insult someone, but when they aren't insulting anybody they are just words, who decided they were bad? I believe it was what we were taught, but really... they are just words.