A Species of Suicide | Teen Ink

A Species of Suicide

By LizzK PLATINUM, Sullivan, Wisconsin
LizzK PLATINUM, Sullivan, Wisconsin

My Geography book devotes a section to Global Warming. Is it real? Is it happening? Is it all our fault? That is a topic I have thought about on occasion, but it's not what I'm writing about. Because it's not what concerns me the most. No, there is something much larger than has caught my attention, and held it firm. Are we our own worst enemy? It's impossible to turn on the television without hearing about the war in Iraq, or genocide, or disaster. War has stained the pages of human history scarlet red with the ones that died in fight. What are they fighting for? We live on the same planet, drink the same water, eat the same food. We are 99.9% the same in the eyes of science. So why then, do we feel the need to kiil, to destroy? Bigger weapons, deadlier techniques, all for what? To destroy ourselves? I find it interesting how human beings as a species can be so caring, so compassionate to ones we love, yet so violent and cold to what we call an "enemy." But when the war is over and the resources are dried up, when this Earth can no longer support the greed of man, who has won the fight? Is it the ones that survived the longest? I don't see how it will matter when we all wind up in the same place. Because after a year in the ground... our bones are all white. So why are we fighting? Are we truly a species of suicide?
<3

on Dec. 11 2010 at 8:35 pm
DawnMarie BRONZE, Milton, Florida

a bird doesn't sing because it has an answer,
it sings because it has a song. - lou holtz

A thrilling perspective on a scarcely written about topic. Job well done. :) 

on Oct. 20 2009 at 1:01 pm
Jezabel PLATINUM, Ricmond, Virginia

In the end we will not the remeber the words of your enemys, but the silence of are friends.
~ Martin Luther King Jr.

this is beautiful. i have goosebumps. keep up the amazing work