My Last Lecture | Teen Ink

My Last Lecture

June 7, 2009
By Anonymous

You all know why I’m here. This is my last lecture before I die. Now I don’t want this to be a memorial service and well dwell on misery because I will soon die. I am here to discuss what I have learned throughout my life time and tell these lessons to you. Now some you may agree with and others you won’t. Now enough with this introduction, let’s do what we came here to do.

First lesson, stick to your beliefs. It doesn’t matter what people do or tell you, do what you believe. If someone tells you what you do is wrong, ask them how they know what is right. I’m an atheist, for those who don’t know what that is, I believe in no God. Now I had people preach to me and tell me that I am going to hell, but I don’t care. It’s my life and I don’t want people to dictate how I live. What is the point of living if you can’t do what you want to do? It’s a waste of a life. Next time someone goes up to you and says that that idea is stupid or its wrong, ask them, “Since when did YOU become all knowing and know everything about the universe? I didn’t think so!” and if you try to change other people’s ideas or beliefs, if they don’t want to, let them be. You will be much happier by not wasting your time on something that will never happen. You can spend all day trying to get a rock off the street and turning it to gold. It won’t change. Maybe there is a small chance they will change, but they don’t. I stick to my beliefs and don’t tell other people how to live. This speech may seem as if it was a “guide” to live, but it’s just suggestions and ideas we came across our lives.
My second lesson or idea is never, and I mean never hold, a grudge against someone. If you hate someone and you spent your whole entire life wondering how miserable or better that person is, you are just hurting yourself. If you hate them so much and want to kill them, first think why. Did they hurt your family? Ruin your entire life? Scammed you? Beat you? Or maybe you stopped being friends and stopped talking to them. Whatever the reason is, let it go; let it go, the past is the past. Time is not like a circle and it won’t repeat itself, so just end the grudge. Ending it now will help you feel better. Why spend an entire life in which your mind torments you about that one person and how they succeeded whereas you have a worse life than them? Think about the future and how you will be; Lonely, no one to have and criticize that person you hate so much, might as well become a bum. Seriously, leave the past forget all grudges and live on.
My third and final lesson is appreciating everything you have. We don’t know when we are going to die or when the world we end, so cherish the ones you love and notice the beautifulness of nature. Next time you see a tall tree, look more at it, maybe a squirrel will be living in it, or it may have fruit. Look at the little details and the scratches on the tree. Maybe it was marked by others to show they were there. The point is if we look at everything carefully, we can actually see the entire life of that one thing. If the same tree had many markings on it, one can tell it lived a long life and had its share of challenges. Look at the sky and the stars, the ocean, each animal that walks by. Don’t just say it’s just a bird, look at it as if you will never see it again and that will be the last time. Maybe for you cell phone people, why use that damn thing? If the person is across the hall and you’re texting them, throw away your phone. Appreciate human communication! Appreciate the face expressions and gestures they give off. Now a day’s people communicate through email, Myspace, Facebook, AIM or whatever, either way you are depriving yourself from human communication. What if you die the next day and the last words, or should I say letters was OMG or LOL or WIOIJMU, which is one I just made up. (Get it, the first letters) ANYWAY, appreciate the simplest things and cherish the opportunity to have face to face communication.
These may be the last words you will hear from me. I may die in 10 seconds or tomorrow. Just know that these lessons I have learned in my life. If I die, I will die happy since I let go of ALL my grudges, stick to my beliefs as well as give up “modern” communication. Like before, it doesn’t matter if you disagree or agree with me, I care what I care. You may not like it, but I do so live with it. I don’t care about your life, as in what you believe, or anyone else’s life, do what you want and leave me out of it. I will NEVER change my mind and if you try to, well might as well go talk to a rock because I won’t listen and probably walk away. You may call me stupid, and you are right; we humans are stupid. We do or go to the bare minimum and do as little as possible. Most of you probably double-spaced o made the font bigger in order for the paper to seem longer, how is that going to help? It won’t just because it looks long it doesn’t mean it is. Half of your speeches will be 1 to 2 minutes and you just wasted your time and my time. Don’t be stupid, do everything possible. In the words of the most intelligent mind of the 20th century, “Two things are infinite, human stupidity and the universe, I’m not sure about the Universe” – Albert Einstein