What is normal? | Teen Ink

What is normal?

By themorninglight SILVER, Birmingham, Alabama
themorninglight SILVER, Birmingham, Alabama

What is ‘normal’? By definition it means mentally sane, or being the same. Does normal exist? Is it our need to conform? Why do we have to do the same as everyone else? These are questions I ask myself everyday.
Why do we thrive on the sameness as others? Does it make up feel ‘normal’? What is the point of fitting in?

In truth, you will never be the same as others. Normality doesn’t exist. Normal is defined by society as having the same clothing as everyone else. Having, pretty much, the same life style as someone else. But there is no such thing! Normality is our need to conform and fit in! To salvage and average life.

And those who choose to defy the rule of normality are categorized as freaks. The weirdo’s. But these people, these are the ones that invented your computer. The ones who put a stop to slavery. These are the people that make a difference in society and the ones I respect.

Why is there such a word as normal? Are we not organisms just trying to cope with human consciousness? When I think of the human body, it amazes me how such trivial things, like how your life is ‘ruined’ because you didn’t get the top that everyone has, people have strong emotions for. People die because of the ridicule they had to put up with because they didn’t conform, because they were ‘freaky’.

No one is normal. If you think you’re normal, you’re pretty screwed up in the head. Every individual is unique and has their own characteristics. I do not understand why the majority of us thrive of being the same as the one next to you. Think about it. When you feel that you can relate to someone, does it make you feel like and individual? Or does it make you feel ‘normal’ and not a ‘freak’.

So really, can you define normal?

Rate!

on Aug. 21 2009 at 8:07 am
BellaLuna1 BRONZE, Ozone Park, New York
Nice love it let's bnot normal!!!!!

on Aug. 13 2009 at 12:30 am
pinksage33 BRONZE, Woodstock, New York
I like this.

IRBFGW DIAMOND said...
IRBFGW DIAMOND, Cincinnati, Ohio

"Hey, assbutt!" Supernatural, Castiel.

Thank you! I am not normal and I am proud of it! Normal people are boring, I'd rather be creative and speak my opion and have fun anyday! Freaks of the world, UNITE! :)