the importance of engaging with ideas that we may find is mistaken or upsetting | Teen Ink

the importance of engaging with ideas that we may find is mistaken or upsetting

By Vicky0_8_0_6 BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other
Vicky0_8_0_6 BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other

People own natural preferences of things that correspond to their formed value, which means that they tend to communicate with others who share similar opinions. Nevertheless, as the adage goes, "The vast ocean accepts hundreds of rivers emptying into it; people with a broad mind can achieve greatness.", individuals who are open to engaging with some ideas that they might find mistaken or upsetting reap significantly more benefits, not only for self-enhancement but also for a more inclusive and prosperous society.

Admittedly, refusing to face or discuss upsetting ideas can be seen as means of self-protection. Stepping out of the comfort zone may align with the challenge of traditional values and the effort to defend one’s stand. Being accepted brings one joy and satisfaction, while being challenged brings one denial and self-doubt. Therefore, when people are exposed to radical conflicts, they will inevitably find it not that acceptable to take those upsetting opinions; For some individuals, encountering diverse or conflicting perspectives may evoke drastic emotional vibration, sensations of unease and discomfort, or unutterably crush self-confidence of what they believe in the past. However, when individuals choose to engage with viewpoints they perceived as mistaken or discomforting before, they stand to gain far more benefits than merely staying within their comfort zones.

By engaging with ideas that make us upset, we can extend our perspective and learn how to look at things from other angles. What ought to be clarified is that mistaken ideas within our own perspective do not determine the validity of the opinion itself, and the majority opinion among the public does not necessarily confer validity. After all, a person's perspective is primarily determined by their own education, political beliefs, and cultural background. This combination of factors contributes to a limited and incomprehensive perspective that is defined by one’s personal experience. Due to the fact that multi-dimensional thinking extends beyond our personal perspective and requires a profound comprehension of matters, it is essential to recognize and address incorrect and disturbing notions, highly improving the depth and width of our minds.

The comprehensiveness of our mind is remarkably beneficial in many areas, allowing us to excel in various fields. This becomes especially significant when people stand on different political positions regarding the same historical event. As for me, my previously held belief of Cross-Strait Relation between Taiwan and China was challenged, when I met opposing ideas from Taiwanese classmates and historical text. Specifically, mainland China's history textbooks emphasize the One-China Principle within the 1992 Consensus, asserting that China is a country entirely led by the Communist Party of China, and that Taiwan is an integral part of China. However, during discussions with Taiwanese classmates, they define themselves as Taiwanese rather than Chinese; what’s more, they claim that the Republic of China and Taiwan have merged into one, and the Republic of China is Taiwan instead of China. I feel astonished and distressed about the opinion that I had firmly believed is deemed invalid. While at the same time, it ignited my passion to view the Taiwan issue from domestic and international perspectives; for example, there is no longer a strong sense of resentment when Taiwanese refuses to claim that they are Chinese since what they did is the persistence of their political position instead of the violation of justice. What’s more, when Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesmen strongly condemned the Taiwan separatists, I will not blindly accuse the actions of the Taiwan independence activists as absolutely wrong, but will stand on their political standpoint and think about the political purpose of the Taiwanese people to make this move. I am now profoundly aware that by engaging in dialogue with perspectives that we may not necessarily agree with or understand before, we can better grasp complex political issues and appreciate the differences and diversity among various stances and viewpoints.

Furthermore, engaging in discussions with individuals whose perspectives we may find disagreeable, or upsetting can help dismantle personal biases and stereotypes, fostering a more inclusive, diverse society where mutual respect among people is valued. Prejudice stems mostly from deeply habitual cognitive processes and the subjective "truth" that people interpret from their upbringing and experiences in the past. When people only accept as true what they believe without making an effort to comprehend or interact with ideas that are different from their own, their thinking becomes inflexible and exclusive. This may spark animosity or cruel treatment of people who have opposing or undesirable opinions. Prejudice and stereotypes are reinforced in the absence of varied idea interchange, which exacerbates social divisions, intensifies discrimination, and weakens the cohesive fabric of variety and inclusivity in society. On the other hand, when people communicate with viewpoints they might not have previously agreed with, they learn more about the opinions and viewpoints of others, which helps to avoid miscommunication and conflict. This tolerance and respect for other points of view promotes a more peaceful and inclusive social environment. In addition, when people are willing to own up to and correct their own mistakes, they provide a good example for others, encouraging them to reflect on and accept different viewpoints. This mutually beneficial process of teaching and influencing progressively fosters a more accepting and compassionate social environment. Consider Asian discrimination as an example. Historically, many white individuals harbored beliefs that the Asian people was inherently inferior, perceiving it as inferior and unclean. Even in the relatively progressive thinking of the last century, such prejudices remained pervasive. However, through increased international cooperation and interaction, white individuals were compelled to collaborate and communicate more with individuals of Asian descent, gradually eliminating such stereotypes. For instance, Sundar Pichai is perhaps the most recognizable Asian American CEO because he oversees one of the highest-profile businesses in the world: Google. Since taking over the reins of the search engine company, its share price has shot up significantly in value. Sundar Pichai uses his own ability to create huge financial profit for Google as well as break the stereotype which always affiliated to Asian people.

In conclusion, ideas that were previously deemed incorrect or unpleasant play a crucial role in personal development and societal inclusivity. Despite potentially stirring discomfort and negative emotions, confronting such ideas pushes us beyond our comfort zones, prompting deep reflection and expanding our cognitive horizons. Moreover, within society, embracing diverse viewpoints may engender conflicts and challenges, yet fostering such inclusivity and respect fosters harmonious societal progress. It diminishes prejudice, fosters understanding, and cultivates cooperation among individuals. Through these contributions, a society characterized by diversity and inclusivity emerges, promising a more civilized and brighter future for humanity.

it is a huge work which emerge all political observation these days, which is also a closer step to my dream major--politics. Hope everyone will like it.