Is being fat a disease? | Teen Ink

Is being fat a disease?

By Chris Ehring BRONZE, Woodstock, New York
Chris Ehring BRONZE, Woodstock, New York

Everyday, men, women, children, and elderly are insulted and criticized. It's not because they are black, nor are they jewish. It's because they are overweight or obese.
Although Being overweight isn't a crime in law, it is a crime in society. People attach words like lazy and low self control to people who are fat. But is that always fair?
Being overweight is like a diease. It's just as bad as alcoholism or any other addiction. Actually it's worse. This time the addiction is food and you can't just stop cold turkey, you need food to survive. But you ask, how can a person become addicted to food. Well you can easily ask how can a person become addicted to alcohol. It's simple really. You lose control.
How do you lose control? By not watching what your doing. You eat and eat and eat until you it's like you got on a roller coaster trapped in a downward spiral without anyway to stop. Only there's more. You have insults from other people, dirty looks when eating at a restaurant, and that constant fear of taking any part of clothing off in front of another person. And a pool? Forget it! Why subject yourself to taunts and glares at your massive body? That's what goes through the mind of an overweight person. Everyday, every hour, every second. So when you say that a fat person deserves to be fat because it's their fault or when you insult a fat person, don't. Because they have a life that is probably alot harder than one you've been through just because they're fat.

diggy20 said...
That was a very less than smart thing to say. Alcholism is a disease and neither is it contagious or congenital. Drug addiction is a diesease and it too is not contagious or congenital. So what makes food addiction any different? Don't mock or judge a pain you have yet to experience. Thanks love. 

hannah=(= said...
on Aug. 1 2009 at 4:25 am
hannah=(=, Ossian, Indiana
I do not think being fat is a disease. It's not contagious and it's not congenital. I think people know exactly what they are doing when they eat unhealthy food and lack exercise.