America Dream | Teen Ink

America Dream

By Lucasnelson SILVER, Miami, Florida
Lucasnelson SILVER, Miami, Florida

The American Dream, a cornerstone of American identity, has long been synonymous with the promise of upward mobility and prosperity. However, recent trends suggest that this dream may be eluding the middle and lower classes, as economic disparities continue to grow. Over the past few decades, the United States (U.S.) has experienced significant economic changes, with wealth inequality on the rise and living expenses increasing at a faster pace than wages. This has led to a situation where the traditional pathways to achieving the American Dream, like stable employment, homeownership, and financial security, are becoming increasingly difficult for many Americans to attain. The American Dream has indeed been obscured for the middle and lower class due to the escalating economy and living expenses, as evidenced by the growing wealth gap, stagnant wages, and the challenges faced by the "hollow middle class."

Wealth inequality is a critical factor in obscuring the American Dream for the middle and lower class. According to a report by Isaiah Holmes, wealth inequality is making the American Dream disappear for many Americans. As wages fester and the costs of essential services like housing, healthcare, and education skyrocket, it becomes increasingly difficult for working-class individuals to secure a stable financial future. Congresswoman Gwen Moore states, "As hard as you can work, you can’t work enough hours at $7.25 an hour and be able to provide health care for yourself, to be able to provide opportunity for yourself"(Holmes). Moore's words illustrate the stark economic realities faced by those trying to achieve the American Dream. With wages remaining stagnant, even full-time work at minimum wage fails to cover the cost of basic necessities, let alone provide a pathway to financial security. The Vox article titled “America’s Hollow Middle Class” further supports this claim by describing the plight of individuals who fall within the middle-class income bracket but struggle with expenses such as housing, medical costs, debt payments, child care, and elder care (Petersen). The term "hollow middle class" refers to those who, despite earning middle-class incomes, live paycheck to paycheck and have little savings for emergencies or retirement. This financial instability undermines the traditional American Dream of securing a steady income, owning a home, and saving for the future. Both sources highlight the economic hurdles faced by the lower class in achieving the American Dream, emphasizing the challenges posed by low wages and growing living costs. These obstacles contribute to the erosion of the American Dream for many Americans.

The American Dream is also undermined by the segregation of wealth and opportunities in U.S. cities. A research summary from the University of Chicago's Becker Friedman Institute discusses how income inequality and segregation in U.S. cities are contributing to the end of the American Dream. The article explains that wealthier parents can provide their children with better schooling,  resources, and better life opportunities. Consequently, with so much to offer,  this leads to higher property values in richer neighborhoods. In addition, the University of Chicago stated how the concentration of wealth in certain areas creates barriers to entry for less affluent families, preventing them from accessing the same opportunities for their children. This segregation of wealth and opportunities reinforces the divide between the rich and the poor, making it harder for people to move up in life. 

For clarity, John Archer's article, "The Resilience of Myth: The Politics of the American Dream," provides historical context to the American Dream, noting that the concept has evolved over time and has been influenced by political and ideological factors that purposely markets and sells the fantasy. Archer's analysis emphasizes the deep roots of the American Dream in American society, suggesting that the dream has been a powerful tool for promoting social stability and economic prosperity (Archer) in the past. However, fast forwarding to nowadays, the changing economic landscape and the persistence of wealth inequality threaten to undermine the dream's core values of upward mobility and homeownership, and the changing nature of the dream itself over time.

Literature, such as F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby," offers a critique of the American Dream as a myth. In his novel, Fitzgerald presents the American Dream as a myth that is both unattainable and unreliable for the majority of Americans. He depicts characters like Jay Gatsby, who despite his wealth, remains deeply unsatisfied and unfulfilled. Fitzgerald writes, "The American Dream: it is a concept, an aspiration, and an expectation, so well known it seldom seems to need explaining." This quote from Fitzgerald highlights the pervasiveness of the American Dream as a cultural ideal, yet also acknowledges its elusive nature. The novel suggests that the dream is more of a myth than a reality for many, particularly for those in the lower and middle classes (Fitzgerald). The novel also portrays the American Dream as inherently unstable and unreliable, with characters like Jay Gatsby experiencing instability and a lack of true happiness or satisfaction despite their wealth. Through these portrayals, Fitzgerald critiques the American Dream as a myth that promises transcendence into a carefree existence, which is often unattainable due to the harsh realities of life. The connection between these sources is that they collectively paint a picture of the American Dream as a complex and multifaceted concept that is challenged by economic inequality, societal structures, and the changing nature of wealth and opportunity in America.

In conclusion, the American Dream has indeed been obscured for the middle and lower class due to the escalating economy and living expenses, as evidenced by the growing wealth gap, stagnant wages, and the challenges faced by the "hollow middle class." Understanding this shift is crucial for addressing the economic disparities and ensuring that the American Dream remains accessible to all Americans, regardless of their socioeconomic status. Moving forward, it is imperative for policymakers to consider innovative solutions that promote economic equality and provide pathways for upward mobility. This includes reevaluating tax policies, investing in public education, and implementing measures to reduce wealth inequality. By doing so, there might be hope to restore the American Dream for those who are currently struggling to achieve it.

Work Cited

Archer, John. “The Resilience of Myth: The Politics of the American Dream.” TDSR, XXV, no. 2, 2014, pp. 7–21, doi.org/jstor.org/stable/24347714?read-now=1&oauth_data=eyJlbWFpbCI6Imx1Y2FzYW5kbmVsc29uQGdtYWlsLmNvbSIsImluc3RpdHV0aW9uSWRzIjpbXSwicHJvdmlkZXIiOiJnb29nbGUifQ&seq=2#page_scan_tab_contents. 

Fitzgerald, Francis Scott. The Great Gatsby. BROAD BOOK PR, 2024. 

Isiah Holmes, Wisconsin Examiner December 19. “House Committee: Wealth Inequality Is Making the American Dream Disappear.” Wisconsin Examiner, 20 Dec. 2022, wisconsinexaminer.com/2022/12/19/report-wealth-inequality-is-making-the-american-dream-disappear/. 

Petersen, Anne Helen. “America’s Hollow Middle Class.” Vox, 15 Dec. 2020, www.vox.com/the-goods/22166381/hollow-middle-class-american-dream. 

“The End of the American Dream? Inequality and Segregation in US Cities.” BFI, Becker Friedman Institute , 2 Feb. 2021, bfi.uchicago.edu/insight/research-summary/the-end-of-the-american-dream-inequality-and-segregation-in-us-cities/. 

Lucas Nelson is a high school student who will graduate in 2025 to pursue Structural Engineering. As result of his hard work and commitment, Lucas is currently a member of different nationally recognized honors societies who holds a variety of certifications in worldwide accredited organizations and universities including courses in leadership, cultural diversity, and different areas of engineering. Although he aims for academic excellence, he is also fully invested in making this world a better place by volunteering in his community and leading projects to support causes such as helping foster children and veterans (The Purple Heart Organization). Lucas speaks four languages and is an avid athlete in different sports.